North Uist, Loch Scolpaig, Dun Scolpaig
Alternative Names Tower; Folly
Site Type DUN, TOWER
Canmore ID 10072
Site Number NF77NW 6
NGR NF 73103 75028
Council WESTERN ISLES
Parish NORTH UIST
Former Region WESTERN ISLES ISLANDS AREA
Former District WESTERN ISLES
Former County INVERNESS-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Recording Your Heritage Online
Loch Scolpaig Folly, 1830s Octagonal tower crowning a small islet, built on the site of the Iron Age broch of Dun Scolpaig by Dr Alexander Macleod (an Dotair Ban), who drained the loch.
Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk
|Notes and Activities|
NF77NW 6 73103 75028.
(NF 7310 7503) Dun Scolpaig (NR) Tower.
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed, (1904)
'Dun Scolpaig has now entirely disappeared, its site being occupied by a small octagonal tower surrounded by a low wall at the water's edge. Both of these constructions are of modern origin, being constructed of stones from the fort itself; having been erected by Dr Alexander Macleod about the year 1830'.
E Beveridge 1911.
The site is as described by Beveridge
Visited by OS (J T T) 19 June 1965.
NF 7310 7503 A desk-based survey and non-invasive assessment was made of the site (NMRS NF77NW 6), in association with Simpson & Brown Architects, including a survey of the island and the approach, both of which were heavily landscaped. Probable site of crannog - no remains identified.
Sponsor: Southern Isles Amenity Trust.
T Addyman 2000
Notes This project indicates that the record to which it is linked is within, or near the boundary, of an area managed by a SURE partner.
Information from RCAHMS (SH) 24th January 2014
|18 June 2008 to 21 June 2008||CONSERVATION|
Notes NF 7310 7502 A survey of the causeway was carried out 18–21 June 2008 for Access Archaeology as part of a wider project, supported by Archaeology Scotland’s Adopt-a-Monument scheme, to conserve the tower and make the site accessible as a visitor attraction.
Scolpaig Tower is a 19th-century folly situated on a small islet within Loch Scolpaig, Uist. It is likely that the folly overlies the remains of an earlier historic and/or later prehistoric dun. A 1:20 plan, a photographic record and a detailed description of the remains were produced prior to restoration work.
The survey confirmed that the remains of two short sections of a stone causeway (c18m and 8m) connect the islet in Loch Scolpaig to the shore via a small rocky outcrop covered with dense vegetation. The remains of the causeway were insubstantial and had been heavily eroded. The causeway consisted of some blocks of unworked stone, the largest 0.8 x 0.8m, which were visible above the current water line. Below water the causeway was constructed of loosely packed smaller stones (c0.2 x 0.2m), possibly sitting above a layer of
gravel. Only one area of the causeway formed a continuous and compact surface. There was no firm evidence of multiple construction phases. No finds were recovered.
Archive: RCAHMS (intended). Report: local authority Archaeological Officer (intended)
Funder: Historic Scotland
Rebecca Rennell (Access Archaeology), 2008
|Books and References|
Addyman, T (2000r) 'Scolpaig Tower, Western Isles (North Uist parish), folly tower; landscape', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.1
Beveridge, E (1911) North Uist: its archaeology and topography, with notes upon the early history of the Outer Hebrides, Edinburgh
Page(s): 193 Held at RCAHMS D.14.2.UIS
Miers, M (2008) The Western Seaboard: an illustrated architectural guide, EdinburghShowing 3 from 5 ...show more