Stroma, New Lighthouse

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Pentland Firth; Swilkie Point; Stroma Ii
Site Type LIGHTHOUSE
Canmore ID 104143
Site Number ND37NE 12
NGR ND 35378 79215
Council HIGHLAND
Parish CANISBAY
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District CAITHNESS
Former County CAITHNESS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

ND37NE 12 35378 79215

Stroma Lighthouse [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1987.

For (predecessor) Stroma, Old Lighthouse (ND c. 353 792), see ND37NE 20.

Location formerly entered as ND 3537 7921.

Name: Stroma II (1896)
Location: N58 42 W3 07 Pentland Firth, 5 miles NW of Duncansby Head
Designed and built: D A Stevenson
Light first exhibited: 1896
Description: Circular stone tower, painted white
Height of light above MHW: 105ft (32m)
Height of tower: 76ft (23m)
Light source and characteristics: W Gp Fl ev 20 secs. Metal halide lamp: 1,000,000 cp: 26nm nominal range
Fog warning apparatus: Horn (2) ev 60 secs
Manning: watched (helicopter transfer from Stromness)
Lens from Sule Skerry lighthouse (HX62SW 1) installed during automation; scheduled for automation March 1996
C Nicholson 1995.

This major lighthouse was built (as part of an extensive programme of construction works around northern Scotland) by D A Stevenson, and was first lit in 1896. It suffered aerial attack in 1941 and was administered as a shore station until 1961, being a rock station thereafter. The light was electrified in 1972, using a sealed-beam system with a maximum power of 1,100,000 cp; it was automated in 1996.
This light succeeded an unmanned minor light of 1890, which was itself of significance as one of the first two around Scotland to use 'scintillating' lights of the Trotter-Lidberg type, with lythene (petroleum spirit) as fuel. The location of this structure is unknown but it may have occupied the same site.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 23 August 2001.
R W Munro 1979; K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986; K Allardyce 1988.

1896
 CONSTRUCTION

Notes Replaced an unmanned light built in 1890.
R W Munro 1979

Further details

1941
 INCIDENT

Notes Damaged by a bombing attack.
K Allardyce and E M Hood 1986

Further details

March 1997
 MODIFICATION

Notes Automated in 1997.
C Nicholson 1995

Further details

 
Books and References

Allardyce and Hood, K and E M (1986) At Scotland's edge: a celebration of two hundred years of the lighthouse service in Scotland and the Isle of Man, Glasgow
Page(s): 61, 64, 130-1, 142, 154 Held at RCAHMS J.6.4.ALL

Allardyce, K (1998) Scotland's edge revisited, Glasgow
Page(s): 82-3 Held at RCAHMS J.6.4.ALL

Munro, R W (1979) Scottish lighthouses, Stornoway
Page(s): 15, 165, 200, 229, 243, 262, 276, 278 Held at RCAHMS J.6.4.MUN

Showing 3 from 6 ...show more
Charity SC026749