Linlithgow, Edinburgh Road, St Magdalene's Distillery, Malting Barn And Double Kiln
Site Type DISTILLERY, KILN, MALTINGS
Canmore ID 106174
Site Number NT07NW 95
NGR NT 00724 77092
Council WEST LOTHIAN
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District WEST LOTHIAN
Former County WEST LOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Recording Your Heritage Online
St Magdalene's Distillery, Edinburgh Road, c.1880
Taking its name from the vanished Hospital of St Mary Magdalene, the distillery consisted of two huge, stone malting-barns (one four-storey, one enclosing a courtyard) and three square kilns capped with pagoda ventilators. Eastern range refurbished with adjacent neo-Mackintosh terraced housing, 1990, by Cooper Design Associates and monumental western structure, 2002, by R & G Homes.
Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk
|Notes and Activities|
NT07NW 95 00800 77080
See also NT07NW 16.
St Magdalene's Distillery: An extensive distillery at the E side of the town of Linlithgow, licensed to distill from malt only. It consists of the usual works: maltings, kilns, still house, warehouses etc. (1st edition of the OS 6-inch map, Linlithgow sheet 3, 1857 names the individual buildings in the distillery.) It was erected in 1824, and is capable of manufacturing, on average, 4,000 gallons of whisky weekly and gives emplyment to about 30 persons. It is the property of, and occupied by, Messrs Adam and John Dawson.
Name Book 1856
Former 18th century, St Magdalene's Distillery, now partially converted into flats.
Information from RCAHMS (DE) August 1996.
On the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Linlithgowshire 1897, sheet 5NE) there is a landing place marked close to the Distillery, which was presumably used by the Distillery.
Information from RCAHMS (MD) 5 April 2001.
|Books and References|
Dennison and Coleman, E P and R (2000a) Historic Linlithgow: the architectural implications of development, The Scottish burgh survey Edinburgh
Page(s): 43, 86, 114 Fig.21 Held at RCAHMS D.7.33.LIN
Hume, J R (1976) The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 1, Lowlands and Borders London
Page(s): 263 Held at RCAHMS J.4.11.HUM
Jaques and McKean, R and C (1994) West Lothian: an illustrated architectural guide, RIAS/ Landmark Trust series [Edinburgh]
Page(s): 12 Held at RCAHMS D.7.3.JAC