Montrose, Sunnyside Royal Hospital
Alternative Names Hillside, Montrose Royal Mental Hospital; Royal Lunatic Asylum
Site Type HOSPITAL (19TH CENTURY), WAR MEMORIAL (20TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 107583
Site Number NO76SW 58
NGR NO 70780 61736
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District ANGUS
Former County ANGUS
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Architect: Sydney Mitchell & Willson - Hospital 1888, opened 1891
Original building erected 1780-82 (see NO75NW 49, Montrose, Ferry Road)
William Middleton (reconstruction c. 1840)
John Sim - Asylum block 1901
William Kelly 1895 (extensions to original lunatic asylum)
See NMRS paper catalogue Tayside, Angus L-M for newscutting from The Building Chronicle, No 28, 1 July 1856
(Vol. 2 (1856-7), p.80)
|Notes and Activities|
NO76SW 58.00 70780 61736
NO76SW 58.01 NO 70973 61784 Carnegie House
The hospital and surrounding area is visible on a RAF WW II oblique aerial photograph (No.1 CAM, 11682, flown 14 April 1943), viewed from the E.
Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2005
|12 August 2009||SITE MANAGEMENT|
Project Buildings at Risk Register BARR
Notes Large E plan Jacobean with long S. frontage of 24 mullioned windows, 3-storey and basement; centre, ends and sub- centres advanced. Twisted chimneys. Dated 1857, with later additions (Historic Scotland).
Sunnyside Royal Hospital, was built in 1855-7 on a hillside site 6km north of Montrose to replace the old Royal Asylum in the town. The new site was further developed in 1888-91 when a hospital block, designed by the architects, Sydney Mitchell & Wilson, was built to the north-west of the main building, and a large villa, Carnegie Lodge, was added to house private patients. Another two villas, Howden Villa and North Esk Villa, were built in the early 1900s to provide accommodation for pauper patients, and a nurses' home was constructed in 1935.
The Royal Asylum of Montrose was founded in 1781 by Mrs Susan Carnegie of Charlton for the treatment of private and pauper lunatics, and was the first purpose-built psychiatric institute in Scotland. Prior to this, insane patients had been housed in the Old Tolbooth in the High Street. In 1858 the asylum was transferred to Moffatt's new building on the lands of a farm at Sunnyside. The new building cost £27,513, and was built in the Jacobean style Moffatt often adopted. When the lease of the farmlands expired in 1911, 52 acres were purchased for the hospital at a cost of £4,500. (RCAHMS)
BARR website http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/912997
|February 2014 to July 2014||PROJECT|
Notes A data upgrade project to record war memorials.