Fallin, Polmaise Colliery
Alternative Names Polmaise Nos. 3 And 4
Site Type COLLIERY
Canmore ID 108912
Site Number NS89SW 43
NGR NS 837 914
Parish ST NINIANS
Former Region CENTRAL
Former District STIRLING
Former County STIRLINGSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred NS 837 914
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS89SW 43 centred 837 914
For (associated) village of Fallin (centred NS 833 918), see NS89SW 42.
Fallin Pit [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1979.
(Location cited as NS 8386 9138 - centred on Shaft No.3). POLMAISE 3, 4 and 5 (also known as FALLIN Colliery)
Previous Owners: Archibald Russell Limited
Types of Coal: House, Steam (including navigation), and Anthracite
Sinking/Production Commenced: 1904
Year Closed: 1987
Year Abandoned: 1987
Average Workforce: 606
Peak Workforce: 778
Peak Year: 1957
Shaft/Mine Details: 3 shafts in 1948, Nos. 3 and 4 375m deep, but No. 4 wound from 311m. No. 5 shaft 301m, sunk in 1940 (for ventilation, pumping and upcast). No. 3 at NS 8386 9138, rectangular, downcast and wood-lined; No. 4 at NS 8384 9139, rectangular, upcast and wood-lined; No. 5 at NS 8378 9142, circular and concrete-lined, with tower-mounted electric winder.
Details in 1948: Output 700 tons per day, 175,000 tons per annum. 574 employees. Coppee Baum washer. Canteen, baths (1934, for 720 men, with 48 shower cubicles), first-aid. Electricity AC, generated at colliery (also supplies Polmaise 1 and 2 (NS89SW 44)). Report dated 16-08-1948.
Other Details: Shafts 4 and 5 had timber headframes until replacement with steel structures in the early 1940s. The National Coal Board (NCB) reconstruction scheme of 1954 added a tower-mounted winder and mechanised underground transport. The complex included a washery, which also handled coal from Polmaise 1 and 2 (NS89SW 44). By 1960, production had diverted to the Upper Hirst seams, supplying Kincardine Power Station (NS98NW 61.00). In 1984, Polmaise 3 and 4 was one of the major flashpoints triggering the miners' strike. A miners' memorial was unveiled on 2 July 1994.
M K Oglethorpe 2006.
Polmaise 3 and 4 Colliery Baths, Lanarkshire: This building was erected on made ground and had to be carried on a reinforced concrete foundation. The pit entrance, with boot cleasing and greasing rooms etc. , occupies the flat roofed porition on the left (see SC 1073899), that on the right contains the canteen ad clean enctrance. The pitched roofs of the locker rooms can be seen at the rear; the bath house lies between them. The building is finished externally in cream cement with bands of green-glazed bricks. Opened: 27th January , 1934. Accommodation: 720 men. Cost: £10, 150. Canteen £696. Architect: J A Dempster ARIBA, Miners' Welfare Committee.
Miners' Welfare Committee, 1935.
|Books and References|
Hutton, G (2000) Mining from Kirkintilloch to Clackmannan and Stirling to Slamman: an illustrated history of mining in the former counties of Stilring, Dunbarton and Clackmannan, Ochiltree, Ayrshire
Page(s): 66-73 Held at RCAHMS J.5.51.HUT
Miners' Welfare Fund (1935) Miners' Welfare Fund, Mines Department, 1934 thirteenth annual report of the Miners' Welfare Committee and eighth annual report of the selection committee Miners' Welfare National Scholarship Scheme, London
Page(s): Figure 15
Oglethorpe, M K (2006) Scottish Collieries an inventory of the Scottish coal industry in the nationalised era, Edinburgh
Page(s): 248 Held at RCAHMS J.5.5.OGL