Site Type FARMSTEAD
Canmore ID 114263
Site Number NH63SE 100
NGR NH 6780 3148
Parish DAVIOT AND DUNLICHITY
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District INVERNESS
Former County INVERNESS-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Public Text Contributions
Peter Tovell subsequently built three houses on the adjacent land, The Artist's Cottage 1990-92 (7), North House 1995 (8), and South House 1995 (9).
An aerial photograph taken by Maxine Tovell from a light aircraft flown by Paul Carter shows the position of the four houses (10) - the aircraft was constructed by Carter at his home, Inverarnie Cottage, probably the only flying machine ever to be built in the village of Farr.
Achnabechan and the McBain family are referred to in an historical novel by Suzie McKay (11).
1. Farr House, Canmore ID 99485
2. GRS. Inverness Book 1355 Folio 129
3. Photo, 'Front of house, derelict, 1973'.
4. Photo, 'Back of house, derelict, 1973'.
5. Photo, 'Front of house after reconstruction'.
6. Photo, 'Back of house after reconstruction'.
7. The Artist's Cottage, Canmore ID 82860
8. North House, Canmore ID 280055
9. South House, Canmore ID 280056
10. Photo, 'Aerial view of Achnabechan, 1995'.
11. McKay, Elizabeth (1979). 'A Discarded Brat'. Highland Printers Ltd