Edinburgh, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 Princes Street, Jenners
Alternative Names 47 - 52 Princes Street; Stanley Ltd; Jenners Store; Rose Street; South St David Street
Site Type DEPARTMENT STORE
Canmore ID 115649
Site Number NT27SE 1199
NGR NT 25531 73986
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish EDINBURGH (EDINBURGH, CITY OF)
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Treasured Places - HLF funded
In 1838 Jenners Department store began operating on its present location in Princes Street. A fire in 1892 destroyed the first buildings and a new, fireproofed, structure opened in 1895. Technical innovations in the new building included electric lighting and hydraulic lifts. The centrepiece of the store is a large, top-lit gallery.
Information from RCAHMS (SC) 4 July 2007
Miller, R D 1995
Gifford, J, McWilliam, C and Walker, D 1984
An image of this site has been nominated as one of Scotland's favourite archive images. For more information about the project visit http://www.treasuredplaces.org.uk
ARCHITECT: William Hamilton Beattie 1895
James B Dunn
(Undated) information in NMRS.
Company established in Princes Street from 1838; original building destroyed by fire 1892.
Extensive stonework repair to current building carried out by the Michael Laird Partnership 1995-7 (cost 2.5m).
An unsigned sketch (EDD 173/1) shows various details that were not executed, including a dome over the water tower above the corner of the building. Presumably this is a preliminary sketch prepared in the months after the fire of November 1892.
Information from Mr Wilson Black (former Master of Works, Jenners), 2009.
|Notes and Activities|
NT27SE 1199 25531 73986
For associated repository (140 Balgreen Road: NT 21883 72451), see NT27SW 2690.00.
|1895 to 1900||PHOTOGRAPHIC RECORD|
Notes Photographs of Jenners Department Store taken by Bedford Lemere
|1920 to 1922||MODIFICATION|
|1950 to 1966||MODIFICATION|
Notes Photographs of Jenners Department Store taken by George Hay.
|1950 to 1954||MODIFICATION|
Notes Photographs of Jenners Department Store taken by William McKelvie.
Notes The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012. As a temporary measure, PMSA data on any site with multiple sculptures, such as the Scott Monument, can be found under Collection Items, then Digital Files; click on the PDF icon.
The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.
|14 March 2007||AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY|
Project 2007 RCAHMS Aerial Survey
|Books and References|
Artley, A (ed.) (1975) The golden age of shop design: European shop interiors 1880-1939, London
Held at RCAHMS F.6.5.ART
Edinburgh, Princes Street, Jenners (1998) '[Jenners]', Prospect May 1998 (No 66)
Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, J, C and D (1984) Edinburgh, The Buildings of Scotland series Harmondsworth
Page(s): 311 Held at RCAHMS Quick