Skye, Kilchrist Church
Alternative Names Strath Suardal; Cill Chriosd
Site Type CHURCH
Canmore ID 11600
Site Number NG62SW 3
NGR NG 61706 20697
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District SKYE AND LOCHALSH
Former County INVERNESS-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Recording Your Heritage Online
Cill Chriosd (Kilchrist), late 16th/early 17th century, replacing a medieval structure The long, low, rubble ruin of the post- Reformation parish church of Strath has roughly dressed quoins and jambs, and a balustraded burial enclosure added to the east gable in the early 18th century for the Mackinnons. In the south corner of the graveyard, a worn medieval slab carved with an ornate cross; headstones mostly 18th and 19th century.
Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk
Scottish Record Office:
Repair of the Kirk of Kilchrist.
Joiner's and Slater's account.
1789. GD 221/149/1.
|Notes and Activities|
NG62SW 3.00 61706 20697
(NG 6171 2068) Cill Chriosd (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1903)
NG62SW 3.01 Centred NG 61720 20723 Burial-ground; Cross-Fragment; Slab: Cross-Incised
Kilchrist Church, dating probably from the late 16th- early 17th century measures 52ft 9ins by 17ft 6ins internally, the main axis varying 30 from due E-W. There are no openings in the N and W walls. The side walls, 8ft high, are 2ft 3ins and the gables 2ft 10ins in thickness.
The church is entered by a doorway with splayed jambs and check and square sconsions in the S wall, in which there are three windows, with check and inward splay. A similar window, now built up, is in the E. gable.
There was in 1505 a presentation of Kenneth ("Kensoch") Adamson, chaplain to the rectory and vicarage of 'Kilchrist in Askimilruby .... in Strasuordale", vacant by the death of the last possessor, "John MacGillebredison". In 1508 John Ronaldson was presented to "the rectory of the parish church of Strath called Cristis Kirk, vacant by the death of the late rector John Johnson" (RCAHMS 1928).
About 1840 a new church was built at Broadford (OPS 1854). Lying in the churchyard is an armorial stone.
Another fragment in the churchyard, crude in execution, appears to be the necking and lower arms of a cross. The lower portion is carved with two animals in relief. The reverse is plain.
There is also a recumbent slab of slate containing a foliated cross. The dexter side of the cross is well preserved, but the greater part of the other side has been entirely worn away (RCAHMS 1928).
Orig Paroch Scot 1854; Reg Sec Sig Reg Scot 1908; RCAHMS 1928.
Cill Chriosd: as described by RCAHMS and ruinous. The armorial stones, etc. were not seen.
Visited by OS (A C) 17 April 1961.
|Books and References|
Miers, M (2008) The Western Seaboard: an illustrated architectural guide, Edinburgh
OPS (1854) Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland,, vol.2, 1 Edinburgh
Page(s): 344 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.BAN
RCAHMS (1928) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments and Constructions of Scotland. Ninth report with inventory of monuments and constructions in the Outer Hebrides, Skye and the Small Isles, Edinburgh
Page(s): 206, No. 645 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV(9)