Inverurie, Station Road, Inverurie Railway Station

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type RAILWAY STATION
Canmore ID 120074
Site Number NJ72SE 151
NGR NJ 77578 21796
Council ABERDEENSHIRE
Parish INVERURIE
Former Region GRAMPIAN
Former District GORDON
Former County ABERDEENSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Recording Your Heritage Online

Inverurie Station, Station Road, 1902. A three-platform through station of the Great North of Scotland Railway replacing the small, cramped station of 1852, which lay half a mile to the south, and emphasising Inverurie's key position at the heart of the new communications system in central Aberdeenshire. On down-platform is a long single-storey office building in coursed rubble with cupola and wind vane which doubles as a ventilator. Good cast-iron piers for awning; was also junction for Oldmeldrum railway. Station refurbished 1989.

Taken from "Aberdeenshire: Donside and Strathbogie - An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Ian Shepherd, 2006. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NJ72SE 151 77578 21796


For (predecessor) Inverury Station or Inverurie, Old Station (NJ c. 7783 2110), see NJ72SE 153.

(Location cited as NJ 776 218). Rebuilt 1902 by the Great North of Scotland Rly. A three-platform through station, formerly the junction for Oldmeldrum. The main offices are on the down platform in a long single-storey, coursed-rubble building. The most interesting feature of this is an attractive cupola with windvane, which functions as a ventilator. The island-platform building is a large single-storey wooden structure with an all-round glazed awning supported on cast-iron piers. The goods shed is a sizeable wooden structure.
J R Hume 1977.

This intermediate station on the Inverness-Aberdeen (main) line of the former Great North of Scotland Rly. was opened on 10 Feby. 1902 in succession to the former station (NJ72SE 153) at NJ c. 7783 2110. It ceased to be the junction station for the Old Meldrum branch with the closure of the branch on 2 November 1931 but remains in regular use by passenger traffic.
R V J Butt 1995.

(Newspaper reference cited).
NMRS, MS/712/72.

 
External Links

Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record


 
Books and References

Binney, M (1991) 'Air of elegance returns to Scotland's railways', The Times 27 December 1991
Held at RCAHMS D.5.AB.P

Butt, R V J (1995) The directory of railway stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present, Sparkford, nr Yeovil
Page(s): 128, 177 Held at RCAHMS J.6.7.BUT

Hume, J R (1977a) The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 2, the Highlands and Islands London
Page(s): 103 Held at RCAHMS J.4.11.HUM

Showing 3 from 6 ...show more
Charity SC026749