Edinburgh, George Square, General

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names University Of Edinburgh
Site Type GENERAL VIEW
Canmore ID 122519
Site Number NT27SE 1792
NGR NT 2584 7293
Council EDINBURGH, CITY OF
Parish EDINBURGH (EDINBURGH, CITY OF)
Former Region LOTHIAN
Former District CITY OF EDINBURGH
Former County MIDLOTHIAN
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred NT 2584 7293

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Sir Basil Spence


Building Notes
In 1947 the University of Edinburgh embarked on a programme of expansion. One of the key elements of the programme was the reintegration of university departments. The area outlined for redevelopment extended from the Old College on South Bridge southwards to the Meadows, with George Square as the centre of the new campus. In March 1954 Basil Spence was offered the post of Planning Consultant. This was Spence's first university consultancy post and he was responsible for drafting a comprehensive scheme for development over the next 50 years. Spence resigned from the post in December 1960.

Archive Details
The Sir Basil Spence Archive shows that Spence presented his initial scheme to the University Development Committee in November 1954 and that by 1955 he had persuaded them to accept the scheme as a general guideline for future development.

The Archive includes drawings, photographs and manuscript material detailing Spence's scheme, the key elements of which were that he would maintain the layout of the square and keep the central garden. He proposed siting the main library on the SW corner, the Arts Faculty along the east side and extending the Medical Buildings. The new buildings would be a combination of tower blocks and connecting linear buildings. These, Spence felt, would add interest and variety to the skyline.

In order for Spence's scheme to be put into practice everything, except the houses on the west side of the square, had to be demolished. The Archive shows that these houses were exempt from demolition because Spence felt they were the most interesting. He recommended external restoration and internal alteration to accommodate smaller departments. The Archive material also contains correspondence between the university and lobby groups who were opposed to the demolition of George Square. The material includes a letter from the University Development Committee to the Secretary of State for Scotland in response to objections raised by the Cockburn Association.

Archive Summary
The Sir Basil Spence Archive contains three manuscript folders, 18 photographs and 15 drawings relating to George Square. The drawings include sketch perspectives, preliminary plans for stages 1- 5 and a birds-eye perspective. The photographs include images of the square before, during and after redevelopment. The Spence Glover and Ferguson Collection, also held at RCAHMS, contains 29 photographs including images of the Basil Spence ARA and Partners' preliminary block model of the site.


This text was written as one of the outputs of the Sir Basil Spence Archive Project, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, 2005-08. Information about the project can be found at http://www.basilspence.org.uk


Architectural Notes

Architect: James Brown 1766-1785
Sir Robert Lorimer 1919-1920 (Histology Building)
Masonry by Michael Nasmyth - father of Painter.

NMRS Print Room
48-60 George Square
General view of east side
W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection
Acc No 1997/39

REFERENCE:
"The Builder" - August 18th 1931 containing two photographs, held in the National Library.

References for 5 George Square from the Scottish Record Office:
'New Stables. Payment of ?2.2.0 to Mr Nisbet, Mason, for advice and plan of stables.' Cash Book. 1768
James Nisbet, Mason died 1781.
GD 157/814 (Scott of Harden)

Building of the New House (5 George Square).
Payments to:-
Mr Brown, blacksmith, 'to account of work done'.
Peter Robertson 'for iron rails'.
Young and Trotter 'for account'.
James Stark, wright, 'for work at my house in George Square'.
Veitch, marble mason, 'for work at my house in Edinburgh'.
Armstrong, copper smith, 'for kitching in my new house'.
Cash Book. 1768
GD 157/814 (Scott of Harden)


REFERENCE: NMRS Library
RIAS Prospect magazine No. 16, Winter 1959, Pages 30 - 32.

REFERENCE:
Edinburgh Room, Central Library, Edinburgh
(James?) Brown
Edinburgh. House, near North East corner of avenue from the Workhouse to the Meadows; "new built", information from Mr Brown, architect, 1769
(Edinburgh Evening Courant, May 3, 1769)

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending
1997
 PROJECT

Notes The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012. As a temporary measure, PMSA data on any site with multiple sculptures, such as the Scott Monument, can be found under Collection Items, then Digital Files; click on the PDF icon.
The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Further details

23 July 1999
 FIELD VISIT

Project Public Monuments and Sculpture Association: Edinburgh

Notes Concave and convex reliefs of the upper half of a sleeping female figure are carved on opposite inner sides of a large split stone (otherwise left natural). The stones are approximately 18 inches apart and vertical. A small carved stone is approximately 6 feet away and a smaller boulder is nearer the path by approximately 15 feet.
Inscriptions : On bronze plate in ground in front:
'THE DREAMER' / BY / CHRIS HALL / IN MEMORY OF / DR WINIFRED RUSHFORTH O.B.E. / 1885-1988 / DEDICATED BY / HRH THE PRINCE OF WALES / 13TH JAN 1997
Signatures : None
Notes : Check description of stone layout.
Year of unveiling : 1997
Unveiling details : Dedicated on 13th January 1997 by HRH Prince of Wales
Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0131)


Further details

23 July 1999
 FIELD VISIT

Project Public Monuments and Sculpture Association: Edinburgh

Notes Stone carving of a seed or fruit-like form, laid horizontally on three paving stones, pointed at one end and forming a slight 's' curve when viewed from above.
Inscriptions : None
Signatures : None
Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0130)


Further details

23 July 1999
 FIELD VISIT

Project Public Monuments and Sculpture Association: Edinburgh

Notes Circular two-part sculpture possibly derived from split stone. Dimpled surface indicates a circle otherwise the rock appears natural. Indentations in upper surfaces presumably to catch rainwater.
Resembles craggy landscape, giant ammonite, ancient ceremonial place.
Inscriptions : None
Signatures : None
Year of unveiling : 1989
Unveiling details : July 1989
Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0129)


Further details

 
Books and References

Anon (1973) Issues for 1956 to 1984. Scot Georgian Soc Annual Report and Bulletin Edinburgh
Page(s): 1988, No. 15, Pages 25 - 33 Held at RCAHMS P.35

Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland No 1 (April - September 1995) to No 31 (Spring 2012) held, Architect Heritage Soc Scot Mag Edinburgh
Page(s): Winter 1996, No. 4, Pages 12 - 14 Held at RCAHMS P.35

Bailey, R M (1996b) Scottish architects' papers: a source book, Edinburgh
Page(s): 135 Held at RCAHMS B.4.SOU

Showing 3 from 17 ...show more
Charity SC026749