Inverkip, The Cloch Lighthouse

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Cloch Point; 'The Clogh'; Cloch Lighthouse; Inner Clyde Estuary; Inner Firth Of Clyde
Site Type LIGHTHOUSE
Canmore ID 123013
Site Number NS27NW 16
NGR NS 20319 75877
Council INVERCLYDE
Parish INVERKIP
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District INVERCLYDE
Former County RENFREWSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NS27NW 16 20319 75877

Cloch Lighthouse [NAT]
OS 1:10,000 map, 1990.

For Cloch Point [coast defence] battery (NS 2050 7585), see NS27NW 21.00.

Built by James Clarkson, 1797, the lantern being supplied by Thomas Smith.
D B Hague and R Christie 1975.

(Location cited as NS 203 758). Cloch Lighthouse, built 1797. A short circular-section tower with corbelled walkway and triangular windows. There appear to be two generations of keepers' houses, the older now used as stores and the more recent having crow-stepped gables.
J R Hume 1976.

The light at the 'Clogh' was built in 1795-7 by John Clarkson (engineer); Kermack and Gall built the tower while Smith and Stevenson installed the (oil) lantern which was first lit on 11 August 1797. The light was 'completely renewed' in 1829 when an argand light and silvered reflector were installed. Two whistles with differently-pitched notes were installed after 1865; the light was experimentally lit with acetylene about 1900 and a radio 'talikng beacon' installed about 1931.
R W Munro 1979.

This lighthouse is situated low down on the E shore of the Firth of Clyde and a short distance SW of Cloch Point [name: NS 205 760], where ships turn eastward into the inner firth.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 February 2006.

1795 to 1797
 CONSTRUCTION

Notes The light at the 'Clogh' was built in 1795-7 by John Clarkson (engineer); Kermack and Gall built the tower while Smith and Stevenson installed the (oil) lantern which was first lit on 11 August 1797.
R W Munro 1979

Further details

27 February 2006
 RCAHMS NOTE

Notes This lighthouse is situated low down on the E shore of the Firth of Clyde and a short distance SW of Cloch Point [name: NS 205 760], where ships turn eastward into the inner firth.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 February 2006.

Further details

2007
 PROJECT

Notes This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Further details

2007
 PUBLICATION ACCOUNT

Project Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders

Notes The first light at Cloch Lighthouse was installed on its completion in 1797 by Robert Stevenson acting for the
Cumbrae Lighthouse Trust’s engineer Thomas Smith. This was four years after the present lighthouse on Little
Cumbrae had been modernised by the Trust.
Cloch light was improved in 1825 and 1903 and, by means of a wireless innovation by C. & D. A. Stevenson
in 1930 which attracted a Royal Society of Arts award, became a talking lighthouse in poor visibility. The light is
no longer used and the building is now a private residence. Ships now use a buoyed channel.
In the 19th century the distance between Cloch and Little Cumbrae lighthouses was used for speed trials. The
practice of ‘Running the Lights’ became an event on the Clyde for any new steamer, and a fast ship could run the Cloch distance of approximately 16 miles in 48 minutes (17.4 knots).
R Paxton and J Shipway

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.

Further details

 
Books and References

Allardyce and Hood, K and E M (1986) At Scotland's edge: a celebration of two hundred years of the lighthouse service in Scotland and the Isle of Man, Glasgow
Page(s): 20 Held at RCAHMS J.6.4.ALL

Blake, G (1956) Clyde lighthouses: a short history of the Clyde Lighthouses Trust 1756-1956, Glasgow
Page(s): passim. esp. 26-7, 41, 42, 48 pl. facing p. 16 Held at RCAHMS J.6.4.BLA

Hague and Christie, D B and R (1975) Lighthouses: their architecture, history and archaeology, Llandysul
Page(s): 175, 217, 226 Held at RCAHMS J.6.4.HAG

Showing 3 from 12 ...show more
Charity SC026749