Alternative Names Balblair Stone; Wester Balblair; Moniak Castle Wineries; Moniack Castle Wineries
Site Type CUP MARKED STONE, PICTISH SYMBOL STONE (PICTISH)
Canmore ID 12732
Site Number NH54SE 9
NGR NH 5518 4357
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District INVERNESS
Former County INVERNESS-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Removed from NH c. 509 451
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
|DESK BASED ASSESSMENT|
Notes NH54SE 9 5518 4357 Removed from NH c. 509 451
For original location (NH54NW 155 c. 509 451), see NH54NW 155.
In the rockery at Moniack Castle is a stone, about 4 1/2 ft. in height, bearing the outlined figure of a man with a stick or other instrument in his hand, and fourteen cup-marks, one of which has been mistaken for the eye of the figure. The stone stands at the end of the rockery farthest from the entrance gate. 'This stone was brought from a spot where it stood for a time, close to the old parish school of Kilmorack, near Kilmorack Free Church. It was however, removed to this place between fifty and sixty years ago, from a spot 100 yard further west, when the ground was them reclaimed. There is nothing known of the stone, traditional or otherwise, beyond this.
(These sitings place the original location in the vicinity of Balblair. (NH 50 45))
Information from OS.
W Jolly 1882.
|21 December 1964||FIELD VISIT|
Notes This stone, at NH 5518 4357, is basically as described by Jolly, it is 1.3metres high, 0.8 metres wide and 0.3 metres thick. Apart from the figure of a man, only three cup marks are now visible.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (R D) 21 December 1964
Notes Class I symbol stone.
A Mack 1997.
|9 March 2007||EXTERNAL REFERENCE|
Notes Scheduled as 'Balbalir Stone, symbol stone, Moniak [Moniack] Castle Wineries... an earthfast, upright carved stone bearing abstract and figurative carving which is prehistoric and early medieval in date'.
The stone is 1.3m high, 0.8m wide and 0.3m thick, and displays the Pictish carving of a man apparently walking from left to right holding a staff or sword, as well as prehistoric cupmarks. It is situated within a modern garden rockery immediately SW of Moniak [Moniack] Castle.
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 9 March 2007.
|Books and References|
Allen and Anderson, J R and J (1903) The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, Edinburgh
Page(s): 95-6, 517 Held at RCAHMS G.1.11.ALL
Close-Brooks, J (1995a) The Highlands, Exploring Scotland's Heritage series, ed. by Anna Ritchie Edinburgh
Page(s): 89 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER
Jackson, A (1984) The symbol stones of Scotland: a social anthropological resolution to the problem of the Picts, Kirkwall
Held at RCAHMS E.11.JAC