Fordell Colliery, Alice Pit
Alternative Names Alice (No.1) Pit; William (No.2) Pit; Lady Anne (No.3) Pit
Site Type COLLIERY, TRAINING CENTRE
Canmore ID 131059
Site Number NT19SE 32
NGR NT 1583 9013
Parish ABERDOUR (DUNFERMLINE)
Former Region FIFE
Former District DUNFERMLINE
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred NT 1583 9013
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NT19SE 32.00 centred 1583 9013
NT19SE 32.01 1587 9012 Alice Pit (Engineering Training Centre)
See also NT18NE 60.
(Location cited as centred on NT 1584 9013). FORDELL
Previous Owners: Earl of Buckinghamshire
Types of Coal: Gas, House and Steam
Sinking/Production Commenced: 1750
Year Closed: 1966
Year Abandoned: 1970
Average Workforce: 509
Peak Workforce: 622
Peak Year: 1959
Shaft/Mine Details: 3 shafts, No. 1 (Alice Pit, NT 1583 9013) 174m, in production by 1894. No. 2 (William Pit, NT 1602 8951) 128m dated from 1843, No. 3 (Lady Anne Pit, NT 1595 8910) 69m deep. Henderson Mine was a drift begun in 1946 and opened in 1948.
Details in 1948: Output 540 tons per day, 145,800 tons per annum. 464 employees. Snack canteen, first-aid room, electricity bought from former Fife Electric Power Company, some steam also used. Report dated 11-08-1948.
Other Details: Situated on the edge of the Cowdenbeath coalfield, and associated with Sir Robert Henderson's wooden wagonway to St David's Harbour, one of the earliest railways in Scotland.
M K Oglethorpe 2006.
|Books and References|
Oglethorpe, M K (2006) Scottish Collieries an inventory of the Scottish coal industry in the nationalised era, Edinburgh
Page(s): 144 Held at RCAHMS J.5.5.OGL