Inverness, Friars' Street, Dominican Friary
Site Type BURIAL GROUND, FRIARY
Canmore ID 13333
Site Number NH64NE 12
NGR NH 6640 4556
Parish INVERNESS AND BONA
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District INVERNESS
Former County INVERNESS-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NH64NE 12 6643 4556.
(NH 6643 4556) Greyfriars Church [NR] (Remains of)
OS 25"map, Inverness, (1868)
Grey Friars Church...Ruin.
Name Book 1868.
Traditionally, the Dominicans or Black Friars, and the Franciscans or Grey Friars had each an establishment here but it was destroyed by Cromwell and the stones carried off for the erection of a citadel at the north of the town. The only remains is the shaft of one of the columns which supported the church which traditionally was connected with the Grey Friars Monastery occupying the space now used as a burial ground.
W R Macdonald 1902.
In 1233, King Alexander II founded a convent at Inverness not of Franciscans or Grey Friars as erroneously handed down by oral tradition, (Spottiswood) but of Dominicans or Black Friars.
Statistical Account (OSA) 1793.
All authorities are agreed that the order of the Black Friars was founded at Inverness in 1233.
F T Macleod 1911.
Dominican Friars, Inverness: This house whose dedication was to St. Bartholomew was founded by Alexander II in or before 1240, and was destroyed or secularized before 1566.
The date of the foundation of this house is not known. The Franciscan Friars. Supposed Foundations, Inverness. The idea that there were Greyfriars here is due to confusion with the Black friars.
D E Easson 1957.
All that remains of the Black Friars' Monastery is an octagonal column of ashlar masonry 0.7 m in diameter with the remains of the springing of an arch 2.4m above ground level. The total height of the column is c. 3.5m.
Visited by OS (W D J) 1 April 1960.
Continuing the work carried out previously (Farrell 1997), a photographic survey to enhance a number of sites which had previously been partly recorded was conducted, including:
NH 6643 4556 Greyfriars, Inverness.
A full report is lodged with Highland SMR and the NMRS.
Sponsor: Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.
S Farrell 1998
|15 February 2010 to 28 February 2010||WATCHING BRIEF|
Notes NH 6643 4559 A watching brief was undertaken 15–28
February 2010 at Chapel St, Inverness, prior to a proposed
extension to an undertaker’s premises. The graveyard to the
SW of the development is a scheduled monument. It was
the site of the medieval Blackfriars, believed to have been
demolished by Oliver Cromwell in the mid-17th century. The
Ordnance Survey visited in April 1960 and found that ‘all
that remains of the Black Friars’ Monastery is an octagonal
column of ashlar masonry 0.7m in diameter with the remains
of the springing of an arch 2.4m above ground level. The
total height of the column is c3.5m’.
The scheduled area includes the site boundary wall and
as no archaeological investigation has been carried out there
the original site limit is unknown. Historic Scotland was
consulted and care was taken to keep excavations back from
the wall, which was not affected.
The footprint of the new building was machine excavated
in two spits to the first soil change below the surface
material. There was a considerable depth of topsoil over
the whole area, which had been disturbed repeatedly and
included 19th- and 20th-century bottles and disarticulated
animal bones (horse). In the centre of the site, the base
of one rectangular feature was noted in the subsoil at a
depth of c50mm. This feature contained the same topsoil as
elsewhere, could not be identified within the topsoil level
and contained no datable artefacts. It was interpreted as a
Following the clearance of topsoil and overburden
to a depth of c1m an inspection was undertaken of the
foundation trenches, which had been dug a further c0.3m
into the subsoil. Despite the disturbance it was clear that
the natural subsoil had been reached throughout and there
was no evidence that this area had been part of the Friary
complex. No significant archaeological features or artefacts
Archive: Highland Archaeology Services Ltd
Funder: J Fraser and Son
|Books and References|
Cowan and Easson, I B and D E (1976) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 100, 108 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS.R
Easson, D E (1957a) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 100, 108 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS
Farrell, S (1997c) 'Inverness and Nairn Graveyard Survey (Ardclach; Croy & Dalcross; Daviot & Dunlichity; Moy & Dalarossie; Nairn; Urquhart & Glenmoriston parishes), survey', Discovery Excav Scot