Alternative Names Castle Craig; Craig Castle
Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 13702
Site Number NH66SW 2
NGR NH 63200 63813
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District ROSS AND CROMARTY
Former County ROSS AND CROMARTY
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NH66SW 2 63200 63813
For carved stone (part of gunloop) at NH 6319 6382, see NH66SW 43.
The remains of Craig Castle, a late 16th-century tower, comprise the roofed NE wing, which has vaulted floors and a corbelled parapet; a wing which probably extended to the NW, and a stairway in the re-entrant angle, have fallen to ruin. There is an enclosure to the N and what may be an oven to the E. Parts of the enclosure may be of earlier date, but the traditional association with the bishops of Ross may well relate to the use of the site as an occasional episcopal residence in the post- Reformation period.
Orig Paroch Scot 1855; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; RCAHMS 1979; G Stell 1986.
Severly eroded coastal undercutting at High Water Mark.
Late 16th century.
CFA/MORA Coastal Assessment Survey 1998.
|Books and References|
Close-Brooks, J (1995a) The Highlands, Exploring Scotland's Heritage series, ed. by Anna Ritchie Edinburgh
Page(s): 21, 101 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER
MacGibbon and Ross, D and T (1887-92) The castellated and domestic architecture of Scotland from the twelfth to the eighteenth centuries, 5v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 3, 465-7 illust. Held at RCAHMS F.5.21.MAC
OPS (1855) Origines parochiales Scotiae: the antiquities ecclesiastical and territorial of the parishes of Scotland,, vol.2, 2 Edinburgh
Page(s): 555-6 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.BAN