Yell, Burra Ness

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Broch Of Burra Ness
Site Type BROCH
Canmore ID 1373
Site Number HU59NE 3
NGR HU 55727 95720
Council SHETLAND ISLANDS
Parish YELL
Former Region SHETLAND ISLANDS AREA
Former District SHETLAND
Former County SHETLAND
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

HU59NE 3 55727 95720

(HU 5573 9573) Brough (OE)
OS 6" map, Shetland, 2nd ed., (1900).

A broch, now ruined and obscured by overgrown debris, except on the east where the wall still stands 14' high. The overall diameter has been about 60' and the wall is at least 15' thick, with a scarcement, and evidently contained a gallery 2' wide, while in the SE arc there are the ruins of a fairly large cell of oval shape. The position of the entrance could not be determined.
There appear to have been outbuildings on the north, south and south-east but these are too dilapidated to plan. Outside them, at an average distance of 94' from the broch, there are slight indications of an earthern rampart or ramparts, but it is not now possible to identify them with the original lay-out.
RCAHMS 1946.

As described
Visited by OS (RL) 11th May 1969.

2002
 PUBLICATION ACCOUNT

Project Euan W Mackie Broch Corpus 1

Notes HU59 1 BURRA NESS ('Brough of Burraness') HU/557957
Well preserved broch on the coast of Yell I., situated on flat ground near the tip of a promontory with rocky, though not sheer edges, and which shows signs of recent cultivation. A ruined farm stands close to the site and a field of corn grew up to the site in the 18th century [2]. The wall still stands 4.27 m (14 ft.) high on the east, but was 6.10 m (20 ft.) high there two centuries ago when the beginning of a bell-shaped profile was clearly visible [2, 149] (Illus. 4.143). The inner wall face is exposed and shows a clear ledge-type scarcement about 38 cm (15 ins.) wide as well as a mural gallery on the wallhead; Hibbert refers to two concentric walls [3]. The gallery here is at least 3.66 m (12 ft.) above the ground and must be an upper one. There are signs of a mural cell on the south-east but no trace of the entrance can be seen. There are traces of outbuildings towards the north, south and south-east, and slight indications of surrounding ramparts.
Dimensions: external diameter c. 18.3 m (60 ft.), wall c. 4.6 m (15 ft.) thick; wall proportion thus at least 50%.
Sources: 1. OS card HU59NE 3: 2. Low 1774, 148: 3. Hibbert 1822, 419: 4. Dryden 1890, 212: 5. RCAHMS 1946, vol. 3, no. 1716, 161.
E W MacKie 2002

Further details

 
Books and References

MacKie, E W (2002b) The roundhouses, brochs and wheelhouses of Atlantic Scotland c. 700BC - AD500: architecture and material culture Part 1 - The Orkney and Shetland Isles BAR British Series 342 Oxford
Page(s): 119 Held at RCAHMS E.9.1.MAC

RCAHMS (1946) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Twelfth report with an inventory of the ancient monuments of Orkney and Shetland, 3v Edinburgh
Page(s): 161, No.1716 Fig.656 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/12

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749