Glasgow, 60 - 76 (Even) Mitchell Street, Glasgow Herald Building

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names 7 Mitchell Lane; The Lighthouse Centre For Architecture And Design In The City; The Lighthouse
Site Type ART GALLERY, EXHIBITION CENTRE, PRINTING WORKS, WAREHOUSE
Canmore ID 141054
Site Number NS56NE 419
NGR NS 58924 65239
Council GLASGOW, CITY OF
Parish GLASGOW (CITY OF GLASGOW)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CITY OF GLASGOW
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

ARCHITECT: C R Mackintosh with Honeyman & Keppie 1893-5

[See also NS56NE 294]

Major remodelling and refronting of building by John Baird (1870), forming rear frontage of 15,000 sq ft site acquired by the newspaper in 1867, stretching from Buchanan Street to Mitchell Street. Nine storeys, around cast-iron frame. The first major building designed by Mackintosh, while an assistant at H& K. Corbelled and galleried octagonal tower (150 feet), topped by flattened cupola, possibly influenced by Mackintosh's travels in Italy and/or the tower of Stirling High School (by J M MacLaren). Contained 8,000 gallon water tank, as a fire safety precaution. Front features asymmetrical fenestration and 'organic' decoration.The Glasgow Herald last issued from Mitchell Street premises 19 July 1980. Subsequently derelict.
E Williamson, A Riches, M Higgs 1990; C McKean, D Walker, F Walker 1989; C & P Fiell 1995; A Phillips 1982

Extended and converted to The Lighthouse, national centre for architecture and design, 1998-9, as flagship project of Glasgow's Year of Architecture and Design 1999. Project team included Page & Park (architects), Oscar Faber (consulting services engineer), and representatives of Glasgow City Council, the Energy Design Advice Scheme, and Energy Systems Research Unit, University of Strathclyde. Awarded grants of 12.5 million by cultural bodies, including Scottish Arts Council and National Lottery. City Council and EU funded initiative to create rooftop gallery as zero-energy space. New steel and in situ concrete extension to E houses entrance and reception areas. Pre-existing building houses two main exhibition galleries,seminar room seating 100, educational facilities, permanent collection, retail spaces, and rooftop gallery/cafe providing views of the city centre. Interiors by Javier Mariscal and Sam Booth of lwd. Mackintosh Interpretation Centre by Gareth Hoskins. Main contractor: Melville Dundas.
J Rodger 1999; AJ 1999; RIAS 2000

 
Books and References

Allen, I (1999) 'To the Lighthouse', Architects J 7 January 1999
Page(s): 38

Arca (1999) 'The Lighthouse, Glasgow', (Cameron Communications) Arca No 2 (August 1999)
Page(s): 27

Arca (1999) 'Alexander Thomson: the unknown genius' [exhibition], Arca, vol.1 May
Page(s): 67-8

Showing 3 from 17 ...show more
Charity SC026749