Loch Moy

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type DAM
Canmore ID 14127
Site Number NH73SE 1
NGR NH 783 337
Council HIGHLAND
Parish MOY AND DALAROSSIE
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District INVERNESS
Former County INVERNESS-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NH73SE 1 783 337.

(Area: NH 7833 337) Engineering operations from 1884-5 at the SE corner of Loch Moy, (where the Funtack issues from it) revealed an obstruction in the form of an accumulation of large stones mixed with clay. It is thought to be possibly the remains of a dam built c. 1410-20 by the clan Cummings, in an abortive attempt to drown the MacKintoshes who inhabited Castle Moy.
ISSFC 1888

No further information.
Visited by OS (NKB) 9 November 1966.

 
Books and References

ISSFC (1888h) 'Excursion to Craggie and Loch Moy, Saturday, 4th June 1881', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club, vol.2
Page(s): 102-3, 118

Showing 1 from 1
Charity SC026749