Alternative Names Lyne Water
Site Type RAILWAY VIADUCT
Canmore ID 145553
Site Number NT24SW 109
NGR NT 20946 40006
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Former Region BORDERS
Former District TWEEDDALE
Former County PEEBLES-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NT24SW 109 20946 40006
For Lyne Station (to SW), see NT23NW 114.
Not to be confused with nearby Neidpath Viaduct (NT 23283 40195), for which see NT24SW 80.
(Location cited as NT 209 400). Viaduct, opened 1864 by the Symington, Biggar & Broughton Railway. 3-arch masonry skew viaduct with a plate-girder approach span over a minor road. It has elliptical arches and slender piers with rounded cutwaters from which pilasters extended to parapet level.
J R Hume 1976.
This structure still stands, and has sandstone abutments and three piers. It crosses 24ft [7.3m] over, first, a minor road, on a steel girderplate span of 20ft [6.1m], and then the Lyne Water, on three stone skew arches of 25ft [7.6m] span. The total length of the structure is133ft [40.5m], and the parapet was capped by cast-iron railings.
P Marshall 2005.
This viaduct formerly carried the Symington-Peebles branch line of the Caledonian Rly over the Lyne Water, immediately above (to the N of) its entry into the River Tweed. This line closed to regular passenger traffic on 5 June 1950.
The Lyne Water here forms the boundary between the parishes of Lyne (to the N) and Stobo (to the S), and the minor road that is mentioned by Marshall is to the W of the Lyne Water.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 January 2006.
G Daniels and L Dench 1980.
|Books and References|
Daniels and Dench, G and L (1980) Passengers no more, London
Page(s): 73 Held at RCAHMS J.6.7.DAN
Hume, J R (1976) The industrial archaeology of Scotland, 1, Lowlands and Borders London
Page(s): 206 Held at RCAHMS J.4.11.HUM
Marshall, P (2005) Peebles railways, Usk, Monmouth
Page(s): 143 Held at RCAHMS J.6.7.MAR