Alternative Names Milton Castle
Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 14582
Site Number NH77SE 1
NGR NH 7723 7370
Parish KILMUIR EASTER
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District ROSS AND CROMARTY
Former County ROSS AND CROMARTY
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NH77SE 1 7723 7370.
(NH 7723 7370) Castle (NR) (remains of)
OS 6" map, (1959)
Milntown Castle was built by Andrew Munro, about 1500. It was a seat of the Earls of Cromartie. The vaults are preserved.
ISSFC 1902; W J Watson 1904.
Miltown Castle, probably a small 16th century tower of which only the basement remains, is now partially underground as a result of 18th-19th century landscape gardening, and the outer wall face is only visible by the entrance on the N side.
The interior measures 3.7m square within walls 1.2m thick. The arched entrance is 1.9m high and 1.2m wide on the outside, enlarging to 1.5m wide on the inside face. A blocked embrasure is visible in the E wall. The barrel-vaulted roof, 2.8m high from the present inside floor level, contains a sqaure hole, and has been harled. The remains are almost identical in shape, size and construction to Arkendeith Tower
Resurveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B) 23 March 1966.
|Books and References|
Fraser, W (1876) The Earls of Cromartie: their kindred, country and correspondence, 2v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 2, 429-31, 432 Held at RCAHMS C.6.2.FRA
Gordon, R (1813) Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland - 1630-1813,
ISSFC (1902d) 'Excursion to Balnagown and Strathrory', Trans Inverness Sci Soc Fld Club, vol.5