Kilmuir Easter, Parish Church

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names War Memorial Plaque; Roll Of Honour
Site Type CHURCH, CHURCHYARD, WAR MEMORIAL(S) (20TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 14590
Site Number NH77SE 3
NGR NH 75756 73194
Council HIGHLAND
Parish KILMUIR EASTER
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District ROSS AND CROMARTY
Former County ROSS AND CROMARTY
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NH77SE 3 75756 73194.

(NH 7575 7319) Church on site of St Mary's Chapel (NR)
OS 6" map, (1959)

(As above, also:) Belfry (NR)
OS 25" map, Ross-shire, (1907)

Kilmuir Church was built in 1798. Attached to the east end is an older structure with a round tower. This is probably part of the earlier Church of St Mary.
The tower, which was being used as a belfry in 1838, bears the inscription 'Beigit 1616' but MacDonald, Polson and Brown (1931) suggest that the lower portion is of much earlier date.
New Statistical Account (NSA, written by Rev C R Mathison - 1838) 1845; Name Book 1873; D MacDonald, A Polson and J Brown 1931.

Kilmuir Church is as described by Mathison and is still in use.
The older structure at the E end is now used as a burial vault of the Earls of Cromartie. Measuring 6.9m x 6.1m, it is constructed of roughly coursed masonry with rubble infilling recently repointed, with an entrance in the S. wall, closed by a metal-studded wooden door. The lower part of the circular tower attached to the east end is similar in construction, but the top section, bearing the inscription 'Beigit 1616', is of coursed masonry of finer workmanship, and as suggested by MacDonald, Polson and J Brown (1931) appears to be later. There is no local knowledge concerning the age of the vault.
Revised at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (N K B), 24 March 1966.

February 2014 to July 2014
 PROJECT

Notes A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Further details

 
Books and References

Close-Brooks, J (1995a) The Highlands, Exploring Scotland's Heritage series, ed. by Anna Ritchie Edinburgh
Page(s): 23 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER

Hay, G (1957a) The architecture of Scottish post-Reformation churches, 1560-1843, Oxford
Page(s): 80, 167, 208, 272 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.HAY

MacDonald, Polson and Brown, D, A and J ({1931}) The book of Ross, Sutherland and Caithness, Orkney and Shetland: descriptive, historical and antiquarian notes, Dingwall
Page(s): 55 Held at RCAHMS D.6.4.MAC

Showing 3 from 7 ...show more
Charity SC026749