Rona, St Ronan's Church

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names North Rona; Rona Ronaidh; Teampall Ronain
Site Type CHURCH (12TH CENTURY), PRIVATE CHAPEL (8TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 1472
Site Number HW83SW 1
NGR HW 80916 32329
Council WESTERN ISLES
Parish BARVAS
Former Region WESTERN ISLES ISLANDS AREA
Former District WESTERN ISLES
Former County ROSS AND CROMARTY
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Recording Your Heritage Online

NORTH RONA (off Lewis)

The site of one of the most complete Early Celtic religious complexes in Scotland, lying some 14 miles off the Butt of Lewis. St Ronan, Abbot of Kingarth in Bute (died 737), is said to have come here on the back of a whale to escape the noise of quarrelsome Lewis women. North Rona was abandoned after the Viking raids, but resettled by a secular community in the 12 th or 13 th century; when John Morison visited from Lewis in c.1680 it was 'inhabited & ordinarlie be five small tennants'. Disasters, such as the drowning of the island's entire male population, and starvation brought about by a plague of rats, resulted in only intermittent occupation during subsequent centuries; the last resident, Donald Macleod, left in 1844 . North Rona is now a National Nature Reserve with Sula Sgeir.

Sited on a terrace within a thick-walled, oval burial enclosure, Teampall Rònain was probably a hermitage offshoot from the church at Europie in Lewis. It is two-chambered, the almost subterranean corbelled eastern cell being the late 7th/early 8th century `oratory' of St. Ronan, beautifully constructed with inward-leaning walls bridged over with stone slabs, traces of lime mortar still clinging to the sides. On the west wall, a door with slit window above leads into the 12 th-century chapel, its west gable still standing to six or seven ft. A stone-paved doorway was uncovered by Dr. Frank Fraser Darling on the south wall during his repair works here in 1938. He also excavated the east end of the earlier structure, unearthing the base of a stone altar and wall niche. Numerous Early Christian and medieval incised cross slabs lie on the site.

The 'village' to the south, dating from the medieval resettlement of North Rona, comprises three groups of sunken beehivelike dwellings, now a grass-grown honeycomb of stone walls and tunnels. One of these, the home of Kenneth MacCagie, was visited by John MacCulloch in 1819: `The entrance to this subterranean retreat is through a long, dark, narrow and tortuous passage like the gallery of a mine, commencing with an aperture not three feet high and very difficult to find¿ he wrote, describing the outer appearance of the house as like 'a collection of turf stacks and dunghills'. An open field system is well preserved, with seams of narrow rigs enclosed by a dyke.


Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

HW83SW 1 8091 3235

(HW 8091 3235) St. Ronan's Church (NR)
OS 6" map 1965.

See also NW38SW 7.

Midway down the steep southern side of the island towards the western end are the remains of a group of primitive structures. Of these the most easterly is a church which lies within a small graveyard enclosed by a heavy drystone dyke. The church is orientated and is two chambered; the eastern division, which is of archaic construction, is conjectured to be an early, possibly Celtic, chapel, and is manifestly much older than the western division, from which it is divided by a screen wall containing a narrow doorway with a small window above. It thus probably served as a chancel to the western portion or nave. Both portions are ruinous and have deteriorated since the date of the description in Muir’s Ecclesiological Notes. Throughout the masonry is similar, flat slabs built dry and pinned with small stones, but the chapel has been pointed internally with clay and sand, and at a subsequent period re-pointed with rough lime mortar above the earlier pointing. The nave has been roofed with timber, the chapel with stone flags. The floors have silted up considerably, filling up the door between the nave and chapel and rendering access to the latter part possible only through a breach in the east gable; the entrance to the church is closed with stones.
On plan the church is L-shaped, for the older chancel is narrower than the nave and the north walls are fairly in alignment. The chancel, which measures internally 11 ½ feet [3.51m] by 7 feet [2.13m], is built with walls that converge as they rise, the encorblement being 2 feet [0.61m] on the lateral walls and considerably less on the gables (not measurable, as the walls are breached) ; the present height internally is 8 feet 7 inches [2.62m]. The south wall contains a small aumbry or credence niche 1 foot broad [0.31m), 10 inches deep [0.25m] and 1 foot [0.31m] high; the doorway in the screen wall is 2 ¼ feet wide [0.68m]. The window is 3 feet 10 inches [1.17m] above the door. It is 8 ½ inches [0.22m] broad by 17 ½ inches [0.44m] high, and was evidently beneath the nave roof. There is now no trace of an eastern window or of an altar slab.
The nave, averaging 8 ¾ feet broad [2.67m] and 14 feet [4.27m] in length within walls 3 to 4 feet [0.91 to 1.22m] in thickness, contains a southern doorway and a small window adjoining. Other windows probably existed, but the lateral walls are now reduced to an average height of 4 feet [1.22m] above the present floor level.
Martin has a long interesting account of the island and its earlier inhabitants derived from natives of Lewis who had visited it. The island belonged to the minister of the parish of Barvas as part of his glebe. ‘There is a chapel here dedicated to St Ronan, fenced with a stone wall around it ; and they take care to keep it neat and clean, and sweep it every day. There is an altar in it, on which there lies a big plank of wood about 10 feet in length ; every foot has a hole in it, and in every hole a stone, to which the natives ascribe several values ; one of them is singular, as they say, for promoting speedy delivery to a woman in travail . . . . There are only five families in this small island, and every tenant hath his dwelling house, a barn, a house for their cattle, and a porch on each side of the door to keep of the rain and snow. Their houses are built with stone, and thatched with straw, which is kept down with ropes of the same poised with stones.’ Under various misfortunes the old population had entirely perished some 14 years before, and of a later colony he could give no information.
RCAHMS 1928 (Visited 14 July 1924)

St. Ronan's Church, possibly so dedicated from an association with St. Ronan's Chapel at Europie (NB56NW 2) of which it may have formed a hermitage, originated as a small, rectangular, corbelled oratory of Irish type, with its surrounding cashel, possibly in the 7th or 8th century.
Two obscure mounds to the north of the church may be early cells, but otherwise there are no stone structures within the cashel. What may have been a slab shrine is partly exposed a few yards NW of the NW corner of the oratory.
During the Norse Christian period and probably about the 13th century a nave was added to the west end of the oratory. A stone cross of this period from near the church is now at Teampull Mholiudh, Europie (NB56NW 3). The area to the west and SW of the church is largely occupied by burials marked by small head-stones, some of them roughly cross-shaped. A prominent feature is the 'Ness Shepherd's Stone', an ornate 19th century stone slab.
N C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960.

Monro noted the existence of 'St Ronans chapell', which in 1549 was being used for burials, and later writers recounted the legend, current in Lewis tradition, of Ronan's departure from that island to live as a hermit on Rona.(i) Although the island probably takes its name from the Norse Hraun-ey' ('rough island') rather than from the saint,(ii) there are important remains of Early Christian occupation.(iii) On the terrace immediately N of the village there is an oval enclosure measuring 32m from E to W by 19m within a turf-and-stone bank up to 3m thick. In the E part of the enclosure there is a drystone oratory, 3.4m by 2.2m internally, whose walls converge at the top to within 0.52m and are spanned by lintels. A slightly larger chapel, also of drystone construction but of later period and much repaired, abuts the oratory to the W and encloses its W doorway.
A number of carved stones of local hornblende gneiss are preserved in the chapel and others remain in the enclosure to the SW. Most of these are simple cruciform stones, and a number of crude or mutilated examples additional to those described below have been recorded.(iv) The most elaborate stone (no.4) was removed to Lewis in the 1930s.
(1) Cruciform stone in burial-ground. It has a pointed foot and roughly rounded arms, measuring 0.44m high and 0.31m across the arms. At the centre of the head there is incised a cross, 0.21m high and 0.12m across the arms which are at mid-height.
(probably H C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960, fig.4, 1 on p.110).
(2) Tapered slab of gneiss with slightly rounded top, 1.17m by 0.51m in maximum width and flaked in places. It was found in 1958 built into the N wall of the chapel, and after recording it was replaced there, face downwards. It bears a sunken Latin cross with arms 50mm to 60mm wide and having slightly expanded terminals. This measures 0.47m high and about 0.3m in probable span but has flaked at the ends of both side-arms.
(H C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960, 109-10 and pl.17B opp.p.109; rubbing in NMRS, MS 433).
(3) Roughly cruciform stone, with one side-arm preserved and broken obliquely at the top. It measures 0.84m by 80mm to 100mm in thickness, and the shaft tapers upwards from 0.28m to 0.22m. In the cross-head there is a sunken cross, incomplete at the top and left.
(H C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960, fig.4, 8 on p.110).
(4) Cruciform stone which formerly stood W of the chapel. It was removed to the church at Teampull Mholuidh, Eoropie, Lewis, before 1936 and was transferred to the care of Comunn Eachdraidh Nis (Ness Historical Society) in 1992.(v) It is broken across below the head, damaged at the top and broken obliquely at the foot, and the surface is much worn. It measures 0.99m by 0.32m across the arms and 90mm in thickness. The slightly curved shaft tapers from 0.26m to 0.17m below the head, which is pierced by three holes, each about 20mm in diameter within oval bevelled surrounds. One face (a) has a margin 35mm to 50mm in width, which also defines the outline of a naked male figure. The head, which preserves traces of the eyes and nose, fills the top arm, and the arms curve round the two lower holes in the cross-head, while the third one pierces the throat. The lower parts of the legs are damaged by flaking, but the genitals are clearly shown. The other face (b) shows traces of a margin, and the piercings are set in oval hollows as on face (a).
(Muir 1861, 191; H C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960, 109 and pl.17A opp. p.109; Robson 1991, 14, 20, and figs. on cover and p.1).
(5) Cruciform stone, 0.44m high and 0.25m across the arms. The shaft tapers slightly to 0.11m below the cross-head, and the side-arms are irregularly rounded. The lower armpits are curved and the upper ones more deeply notched so that the top arm is wedge-shaped.
(6) Irregular cruciform stone in the burial-ground. It measures 0.66m by 0.36m across the arms, which are of unequal height, and the shaft is 0.25m wide. The lower armpits are rounded and the top arm is tapered.
(probably H C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960, fig.4, 3 on p.110).
(7) Cruciform stone, 0.91m by 0.35m across the arms and 50mm thick. The short side-arms and the top arm are all tapered, as is the shaft. There are traces of a possible incised cross in the head of one face.
(H C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960, fig.4, 6 on p.110).
(8) Incomplete cruciform stone, damaged at the top. It measures 0.87m by 0.35m across the head, and the shaft tapers from 0.28m to 0.2m below the head. This is defined by rounded lower armpits, one of which is more deeply notched, and there is one probable notch at the top. This stone has been described as bearing traces of a Latin cross in relief, but this appearance may be due to flaking.
(H C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960, 109 and fig.4, 9 on p.110).
(9) Incomplete cruciform stone, lacking the top arm. It measures 0.49m by 0.25m across the arms, one of which has a projection of only 25mm. One edge of the shaft is straight while the other curves in to a width of 0.19m between the rounded armpits.
(10) Cruciform stone, 0.73m by 0.28m across the arms, which project only slightly. The shaft tapers to the foot from a width of 0.24m below the shallow armpits, which are rounded and roughly bevelled.
(probably H C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960, fig.4, 5 on p.110).
(11) Irregular cruciform stone in burial-ground. It measures 0.81m by 0.28m across the rounded arms, and the shaft tapers, with a curve at one side, from 0.26m to 0.15m below the head. The armpits are rounded and bevelled, and one of the upper ones is well preserved, but the top is damaged and its original form is uncertain.
(probably H C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960, fig.4, 4 on p.110).
(12) Upper part of a cruciform or disc-headed stone, 0.47m high by 0.3m in width. It preserves one well-rounded upper armpit, and a similar concave indentation at the end of the top arm, but the other armpit is angular and both side-arms are broken off.
Footnotes:
(i) Monro 1960, 88; M Robson 1991, 2-6.
(ii) W J Watson 1926, 309 (referring to the Rona at the N end of Raasay); M Robson 1991, p.x.
(iii) RCAHMS 1928, No.9; H C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960, passim.
(iv) H C Nisbet and R A Gailey 1960, fig.4 on p.110, nos.2 and 7 (re-used as a window-lintel in 'the manse', SW of enclosure). The Commissioners are grateful to Dr M Harman for making rubbings available.
(v) RCAHMS 1928, fig.24. It is erroneously stated in Barber 1981, 532, that this stone came from the Flannan Isles.
I Fisher 2001.

A desk-based assessment undertaken in the first year (2004) of the Lewis Coastal Chapel Sites survey identified 37 chapel sites in Lewis and its outlying islands.
R Barrowman 2005.


 WIC PROJECT

Notes This project indicates that the record to which it is linked is within, or near the boundary, of an area managed by a SURE partner.
Information from RCAHMS (SH) 24th January 2014

Further details

14 July 1924
 FIELD VISIT

Notes Midway down the steep southern side of the island towards the western end are the remains of a group of primitive structures. Of these the most easterly is a church which lies within a small graveyard enclosed by a heavy drystone dyke. The church is orientated and is two chambered; the eastern division, which is of archaic construction, is conjectured to be an early, possibly Celtic, chapel, and is manifestly much older than the western division, from which it is divided by a screen wall containing a narrow doorway with a small window above. It thus probably served as a chancel to the western portion or nave. Both portions are ruinous and have deteriorated since the date of the description in Muir’s Ecclesiological Notes. Throughout the masonry is similar, flat slabs built dry and pinned with small stones, but the chapel has been pointed internally with clay and sand, and at a subsequent period re-pointed with rough lime mortar above the earlier pointing. The nave has been roofed with timber, the chapel with stone flags. The floors have silted up considerably, filling up the door between the nave and chapel and rendering access to the latter part possible only through a breach in the east gable; the entrance to the church is closed with stones.
On plan the church is L-shaped, for the older chancel is narrower than the nave and the north walls are fairly in alignment. The chancel, which measures internally 11 ½ feet [3.51m] by 7 feet [2.13m], is built with walls that converge as they rise, the encorblement being 2 feet [0.61m] on the lateral walls and considerably less on the gables (not measurable, as the walls are breached) ; the present height internally is 8 feet 7 inches [2.62m]. The south wall contains a small aumbry or credence niche 1 foot broad [0.31m), 10 inches deep [0.25m] and 1 foot [0.31m] high; the doorway in the screen wall is 2 ¼ feet wide [0.68m]. The window is 3 feet 10 inches [1.17m] above the door. It is 8 ½ inches [0.22m] broad by 17 ½ inches [0.44m] high, and was evidently beneath the nave roof. There is now no trace of an eastern window or of an altar slab.
The nave, averaging 8 ¾ feet broad [2.67m] and 14 feet [4.27m] in length within walls 3 to 4 feet [0.91 to 1.22m] in thickness, contains a southern doorway and a small window adjoining. Other windows probably existed, but the lateral walls are now reduced to an average height of 4 feet [1.22m] above the present floor level.
Martin has a long interesting account of the island and its earlier inhabitants derived from natives of Lewis who had visited it. The island belonged to the minister of the parish of Barvas as part of his glebe. ‘There is a chapel here dedicated to St Ronan, fenced with a stone wall around it ; and they take care to keep it neat and clean, and sweep it every day. There is an altar in it, on which there lies a big plank of wood about 10 feet in length ; every foot has a hole in it, and in every hole a stone, to which the natives ascribe several values ; one of them is singular, as they say, for promoting speedy delivery to a woman in travail . . . . There are only five families in this small island, and every tenant hath his dwelling house, a barn, a house for their cattle, and a porch on each side of the door to keep of the rain and snow. Their houses are built with stone, and thatched with straw, which is kept down with ropes of the same poised with stones.’ Under various misfortunes the old population had entirely perished some 14 years before, and of a later colony he could give no information.
Visited by RCAHMS 14 July 1924

Further details

1990
 PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY

Notes Photographic survey for scheduled Ancient Monuments architect's report, St Ronan's Chapel and village settlement, North Rona, Western Isles.
Historic Scotland, 1990.

Further details

28 July 2010 to 30 July 2010
 FIELD VISIT

Further details

 
Books and References

Barber, J W A (1981a) 'Excavations at Teampull Mholuaidh, Eoropie, Port of Ness, Lewis, 1977', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.110
Page(s): 532

Barrowman, R C (2005a) 'Lewis Coastal Chapel Sites, Western Isles (various parishes), survey', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.6
Page(s): 143

Fisher, I (2001) Early Medieval sculpture in the West Highlands and Islands, RCAHMS/SocAntScot Monograph series 1 Edinburgh
Page(s): 114-16 Held at RCAHMS A.1.6.SCU

Showing 3 from 10 ...show more
Charity SC026749