Glasgow, 206, 208, 210, 212 Old Dumbarton Road, Bishop Mills
Alternative Names Partick; Bishop's Mill; River Kelvin
Site Type WATERMILL
Canmore ID 150922
Site Number NS56NE 1074
NGR NS 56221 66304
Council GLASGOW, CITY OF
Parish GLASGOW (CITY OF GLASGOW)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CITY OF GLASGOW
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred NS 56221 66304
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS56NE 1074.00 centred 56221 66304
NS56NE 1074.01 NS 56260 66292 to NS 56310 66337 weir
Bishop Mills (Corn) [NAT]
OS 1:1250 map, 1975.
Bishop Mills, 206 Old Dumbarton Road, rebuilt 1839 and c. 1853 for William Wilson, miller and grain merchant. A four-storey, 2- by 10-bay coursed rubble building with wheatsheaves at the apices of the gables. There is a brick wheel house, now empty, on the S end. A four-storey four-bay brick building was added later, and is linked to the older building by covered gangways.
Originally powered by a waterwheel, a turbine was used until the early 1950's, with steam, gas and petrol auxiliary power at various times. The mill is now electrified.
J R Hume 1974.
Converted to residential use 1986-87
Information (AC), 3 June 2004.
|Books and References|
Hume, J R (1974) The industrial archaeology of Glasgow, Glasgow
Page(s): 273, L47, pl. 4 Held at RCAHMS D.12.4.IND
McKean, Walker and Walker, C, D and F (1989) Central Glasgow: an illustrated architectural guide, Edinburgh
Page(s): 175 Held at RCAHMS Quick
Williamson, Riches and Higgs, E, A and M (1990) Glasgow, The buildings of Scotland series London
Page(s): 86, 374 Held at RCAHMS quick