Brodie, Rodney's Stone
Alternative Names Dyke Parish Church; Brodie Castle Policies
Site Type CROSS SLAB (PICTISH), OGHAM INSCRIBED STONE (PICTISH), PICTISH SYMBOL STONE (PICTISH)
Canmore ID 15529
Site Number NH95NE 3
NGR NH 98425 57665
Parish DYKE AND MOY
Former Region GRAMPIAN
Former District MORAY
Former County MORAYSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Removed from NH 990 584
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
Notes NH95NE 3 98425 57665 (removed from NH 990 584)
(NH 9842 5766) Sculptured Stone (NR)
called Rodney's Stone (NAT)
OS 6" map, 1906.
|DESK BASED ASSESSMENT|
Notes A Class II upright cross-slab of grey sandstone was found in 1781 during excavations for foundations for Dyke Church, which was constructed behind its pre-Reformation predecessor. The stone must have been in the graveyard of the old church (NH 990 584).
The stone was erected in Dyke village in commemoration of Rodney's victory over the Count de Grasse (Battle of the Saints - 1782) from which it received the name 'Rodney's Cross.' It was removed to the Park of Brodie a few years before 1842. (J G Callander has noted in the National Museum copy of Allen and Anderson 1903 "this stone was dug up by a gravedigger...locally known as Rotteny..and it was from this it got its name, not from Rodney's victory - authority of the late Rev. John MacEwan, minister of Dyke.)
The stone, erected on a modern base and held upright by wrought iron struts, is rectangular in shape, 6'4" high by 3'5" wide at the bottom and 3'2" wide at the top. It is sculptured in relief, with Ogham inscriptions down each of the four angles.
The front bears a cross with interlacing, and the back bears symbols including fish monsters, the elephant, double disc and z-rod.
Information from OS.
New Statistical Account (NSA) 1845 (M Aitken); Name Book 1870; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.
|23 August 1965||FIELD VISIT|
Notes Rodney's stone is as described above but the well weathered Ogham inscriptions are now only visible on two of the side angles near the base of the stone. The origin of the name, still in use, could not be ascertained: there is no local knowledge of the name 'Rotteny'.
Visited by OS (RD), 23 August 1965.
Notes Class II symbol stone (known as the Rodney Stone) showing the cross on the west face.On the east face are two fish monsters with an elephant and a double-disc and Z-rod below them. An Ogam inscription is seen on the north edge.
A Mack 1997.
Notes NH 98425 57665 Situated in the NTS Brodie Estate, Rodney’s
Stone is a Class II Pictish symbol stone, probably carved in
the 8th century. Along three corners runs the longest known
Scottish ogham inscription, extending for over 3m. Reused
as a recumbent grave marker in perhaps the 16th or 17th
century, it was rediscovered in 1781 during the excavation
of foundations for a new parish church in the village of
Dyke. Having been erected in Dyke the following year, it was
subsequently moved to its present position in the 1820s/30s.
Deri Jones Associates undertook a 3-D laser scan of the
entire stone, with further, higher resolution scans of the
ogham text/s and of strategic areas to act as a baseline for
condition monitoring between March–December 2010. Data
processing by Archaeoptics Ltd is ongoing; it is hoped that the
high resolution data will allow a more complete transcription
of the ogham to be created, elucidating some of the more
heavily eroded letters.
Archive: The National Trust Scotland and RCAHMS (intended)
Funder: The National Trust for Scotland, Historic Scotland,
Hunter Archaeological and Historical Trust
|Scottish Church Heritage Research (SCHR)|
|Books and References|
Allen and Anderson, J R and J (1903) The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, Edinburgh
Page(s): 132-5 Held at RCAHMS G.1.11.ALL
Fraser, S (2010a) 'Rodney's Stone Laser Scan, Moray (Dyke and Moy parish), 3-D laser scan', Discovery Excav Scot, New, vol.11 Cathedral Communications Limited, Wiltshire, England.
Mack, A (1997) Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones, Balgavies, Angus
Page(s): 97 Held at RCAHMS E.11.MAC