Buinach Hill

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Bogside
Site Type CHURCH (POSSIBLE)
Canmore ID 16079
Site Number NJ15NE 8
NGR NJ 18 56
Council MORAY
Parish ELGIN
Former Region GRAMPIAN
Former District MORAY
Former County MORAYSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred at NJ 18 56

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NJ15NE 8 centred 18 56.

A church dedicated to St John the Bapist existed at Bogside but the site is doubtful.
Mr Hutcheson, farmer of Upper Bogside (NJ 202 571) in 1928 thought the site was on the left of the public road leading towards Dallas and near the bottom of Buinach Hill (NJ 18 56). (He may have been thinking of the chapel site at Kellas - NJ15SE 1).
The remains are said to have been removed by a tenant before 1882 to build a 'rumbling drain'.
Douglas (R Douglas 1928) suggests it may have been a hospital, but it is not mentioned by Easson (D E Easson 1957).
L Shaw 1882; R Douglas 1928.

No trace and no local information.
Visited by OS (A A) 5 May 1971.

 
External Links

Scottish Church Heritage Research (SCHR)


 
Books and References

Douglas, R (1928) The Lossie,
Page(s): 54

Shaw, L (1882) The history of the province of Moray: comprising the counties of Elgin and Nairn, the greater part of the County of Inverness, and a portion of the County of Banff - all called the Province of Moray before there was a division into counties, 3v London; Glasgow
Page(s): 353-4 Held at RCAHMS D.5.4.SHA

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749