Glasgow, Garngad, General

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type GENERAL VIEW
Canmore ID 169458
Site Number NS66NW 259
NGR NS 60 66
Council GLASGOW, CITY OF
Parish GLASGOW (CITY OF GLASGOW)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CITY OF GLASGOW
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map




Recording Your Heritage Online

GARNGAD
To the east of St Rollox, on the Rosebank estate, Charles Tennant II, son of Charles Tennant of the St Rollox Chemical Works, opened Garngad Copperworks in 1866. He already owned the Tharsis Copper Mines in Spain. This was just one of many industries to develop in the area after 1860. Tenement houses were built nearby and on the Garngadhill drumlin. Garngad and Garngadhill were renamed Royston and Roystonhill by Glasgow Corporation in 1942.


Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending
 
Books and References

Small, S (2008) Greater Glasgow: an illustrated architectural guide
Held at RCAHMS Quick

Showing 1 from 1
Charity SC026749