Glasgow, 321-325 High Street, Hydraulic Pumping Station
Site Type PUMPING STATION
Canmore ID 171636
Site Number NS66NW 283
NGR NS 6005 6537
Council GLASGOW, CITY OF
Parish GLASGOW (CITY OF GLASGOW)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CITY OF GLASGOW
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS66NW 283 6005 6537.
See NS66NW 280 6001 6536 for associated tenement.
First used in 1895, the Hydraulic Power Works consists of Lancashire boilers with enconomisers, pumping engines and accumulators. The water was delivered through 7 inch pipes, the engines having the ability to work independantly of one another. In 1908-1909, this pumping station supplied 202,141 gallons of high-pressure water to the city of Glasgow through 30 miles of pipes.
Corporation of the City of Glasgow, 1909.
'...295 High Street, built 1893-5 for the Corporation Water Department, J.M. Gale, engineer. The retaining walls and chimney cost £3500. A large single storey rustic red stone ashlar building, in castellated style. There are three two storey crenellated towers. Originally there were three inverted vertical compound engines, each of 2000 horsepower, but these were replaced before the station closed in 1964...on the roof of the main block there are two large cast-iron storage tanks concealed by a crenellated wall.'
J R Hume, 1974.
|Books and References|
Glasgow Corporation Water-Works (1909) Notes on the water supply of Glasgow, prepared on the occasion of the celebration of the jubilee of the Loch Katrine water-works, 14th October, 1909 Glasgow
Page(s): 54 Held at RCAHMS D.12.4.WAT.P
Hume, J R (1974) The industrial archaeology of Glasgow, Glasgow
Page(s): 211 G51 Held at RCAHMS D.12.4.IND