Clova, St Luke's Chapel And Well

© Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Sammiluak's Chapel; Monastery Of Clovett
Canmore ID 17232
Site Number NJ42SE 11
NGR NJ 4557 2124
Former Region GRAMPIAN
Former District GORDON
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc NJ 4557 2124 and NJ 4571 2124

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NJ42SE 11 4557 2124 and 4571 2124

(NJ 4557 2124) St Luke's Chapel, Supposed Site of Monastery (NR)
(NJ 4571 2124) St Luke's Well (NR)
OS 6" map, Aberdeenshire, 2nd ed., (1902).

The distinct remains of the foundations of an early church can be seen inside a small plantation near Littlemill. The local people call it Sammiluak's or St Luke's chapel. The site was a monastic foundation of the Celtic St Moluag, dependent on Mortlach according to older authorities, but Easson (1957) lists it as a 'doubtful or rejected' foundation. The 'Monastery of Clovett' is mentioned in 1157 but there is no other evidence of its existence. The ruins contain 13th century architectural detail and remains of four possibly later plain crosses.
A well nearby has the same dedication to St Luke, derived from the English similarity to the Gaelic - St Moluag.
OS Name Book 1867; A Jervise 1875-9; W D Simpson 1943; D E Easson 1957.

All that remains of this chapel are the footings, measuring c. 10.0 metres by c. 5.5 metres and c. 0.3 metres high, situated within a rectangular enclosure probably the graveyard.
The four crosses could not be found and no architectural features are now discernible. Of St Luke's Well there is no trace.
Visited by OS (RL), 26 September 1967.

The four cruciform stones are located in the basement of Clova House
Information from John Borland (RCAHMS), October 1999.

28 July 1943

Project Emergency Survey (archaeology)

Notes This site was recorded as part of the RCAHMS Emergency Survey, undertaken by Angus Graham and Vere Gordon Childe during World War 2. The project archive has been catalogued during 2013-2014 and the material, which includes notebooks, manuscripts, typescripts, plans and photographs, is now available online.
Information from RCAHMS (GF Geddes) 4 December 2014.

Further details

External Links

Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record

Books and References

Cowan and Easson, I B and D E (1976) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 194 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS.R

Easson, D E (1957a) Medieval religious houses in Scotland: with an appendix on the houses in the Isle of Man, London
Page(s): 194 Held at RCAHMS C.3.2.EAS

Jervise, A (1875-9) Epitaphs and inscriptions from burial grounds and old buildings in the north-east of Scotland with historical, biographical, genealogical and antiquarian notes, 2v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 1, 260 Held at RCAHMS G.1.31.JER

Showing 3 from 7 more
Charity SC026749