Glasgow, Bridgeton Cross, Shelter

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type CLOCK TOWER, SHELTER
Canmore ID 172742
Site Number NS66SW 611
NGR NS 60709 63998
Council GLASGOW, CITY OF
Parish GLASGOW (CITY OF GLASGOW)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CITY OF GLASGOW
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Recording Your Heritage Online

] Shelter, Bridgeton Cross, 1874, George Smith & Co., Sun Foundry
Octagonal cast-iron shelter, on cast-iron columns, gifted by the Foundry and known as the `Umbrella┬┐. Red shingle roof, square clocktower, weathervane. The Cross was a redevelopment formed by the City Improvement Trust in the 1870s.


Taken from "Greater Glasgow: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Sam Small, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk


Architectural Notes

For Sun Foundry see also NS56NE 2450

Ornamental pavilion and clock tower, designed and erected by George Smith & Co., Sun Foundry, 280 Kennedy Street, Glasgow.

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending
 
Books and References

Small, S (2008) Greater Glasgow: an illustrated architectural guide
Held at RCAHMS Quick

Showing 1 from 1
Charity SC026749