Site Type ENCLOSURE(S), FARMSTEAD
Canmore ID 180388
Site Number NT71SE 130
NGR NT 7572 1396
Council SCOTTISH BORDERS, THE
Former Region BORDERS
Former District ROXBURGH
Former County ROXBURGHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NT71SE 130 7575 1395
Two enclosures are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Roxburghshire 1863, sheet xxviii), but they are not shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1987).
Information from RCAHMS (SAH), 9 August 2000.
|5 November 1999||FIELD VISIT|
Project RCAHMS Kale Water Survey
Notes NT71SE 130
NT 75718 13961
The remains of this farmstead are situated immediately to the E of the road running N to S from Pennymuir to Tow Ford and comprises at least two buildings and five enclosures. The three largest enclosures (NT 75540 13920, NT 75665 13965, NT 75840 14010) appear to follow the alignment of the Roman temporary camp (NT71SE 5).
The best preserved building (NT 75718 13960) measures 12.3m from N to S by 3m transversely within turf and stone walls spread up to 1.2m in thickness. The walls to the N and E have been robbed. About 10m to the N lies the second building (NT 75709 13975) which has a small, rectangular enclosure extending from the N wall. There are also the remains of a larger subrectangular turf enclosure (NT 75755 13915) to the S measuring about 90m from NNW to SSE by 35m transversely; both are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Roxburghshire 1863, xxviii). The enclosures cover an area of about 5ha.
For the rig and furrow which lies within the enclosures, see NT71SE 102.
Visited by RCAHMS (KB) 5 November 1999, with additional information from RCAHMS (BM) 8 June 2012