Old House Of Carnousie

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Carnousie Castle; Carnousie House Policies, Auldtoun Of Carnousie; Mains Of Carnousie
Site Type TOWER HOUSE, WELL(S)
Canmore ID 18403
Site Number NJ65SE 18
NGR NJ 67188 50409
Council ABERDEENSHIRE
Parish FORGLEN
Former Region GRAMPIAN
Former District BANFF AND BUCHAN
Former County BANFFSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map




Architectural Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Carnousie Old House which was a Category A Listed building was derelict when recorded in Demolitions catalogue held in RCAHMS library.

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NJ65SE 18 67188 50409


For Carnousie House (NJ 6740 4971) and associated buildings, see NJ64NE 41.00.

(NJ 6719 5040) Mains of Carnousie (NAT)
OS 6" map, Banffshire, 2nd ed., (1904)

The castellated mansion, which is occupied as the farm-house of Carnousie Mains, is the Old House of Carnousie, built by the Ogilvies. The original part of the house is a perfectly preserved example of a castle on the Z-plan, one of the towers being round and the other square. The square tower bears the date 1577.
The exterior of the castle is more ornate than is usual, and is certainly one of the best examples of its kind in Scotland.
An oblong building was added to the west gable about 1757.
Eastward, part of the old massive garden wall still exists. Immediately to the north-west is an ancient well about 5 feet square and 20 feet deep. This well is still in use for supplying the house. Further down the slope is another, circular well.
W D Simpson 1936.

Carnousie Castle is as described above although no date-stone was seen on the square tower. The castle is now in a semi-derelict condition and is used as a farm-store.
The two wells are at NJ6717 5043 and NJ 6714 5051. The Northernmost well is enclosed in concrete and with a small pump house along side. The other well is capped with stone flagging and is probably now connected to the other to supply the farm steading at NJ 6702 5048. The garden wall stretches from NJ 6725 5035 to NJ 6728 5035 and formed part of the N wall of the now derelict garden whose W, S and E walls have been demolished.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 14 September 1964.

As described above.
Visited by OS (NKB) 30 August 1967.

 
External Links

Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record

Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record

Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record


 
Books and References

Bogdan and Bryce, N and I B D (1991) 'Castles, manors and 'town houses' survey', Discovery Excav Scot
Page(s): 25

Knight Frank and Rutley (1980) Carnousie Castle, Turriff, Aberdeenshire: {sale particulars}, Edinburgh
Held at RCAHMS D.5.13.CAR.S

Scottish Castle Survey (1988) 'A directory of the owners and occupiers of the castles, manors and 'town houses' {c.1050-c.1707} of Scotland: Grampian Region', Aberdeen
Page(s): 12, no.15/1 Held at RCAHMS B.2.1.CAS

Showing 3 from 6 ...show more
Charity SC026749