East Harlaw

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Battle Of Harlaw
Site Type HUMAN REMAINS
Canmore ID 18760
Site Number NJ72NE 40
NGR NJ 7520 2504
Council ABERDEENSHIRE
Parish CHAPEL OF GARIOCH
Former Region GRAMPIAN
Former District GORDON
Former County ABERDEENSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NJ72NE 40 7520 2504

(NJ 7520 2504) Human Remains found AD 1837 (NAT).
OS 6" map, Aberdeenshire, 1st ed., (1869)

In 1837 the tenant of Harlaw dug up the bones of about 12 human bodies when trenching a piece of barren ground.
Name Book 1867.

No further information.
Visited by OS (RL) 13 February 1969.

Possibly from the Battle of Harlaw.
NMRS, MS/712/70.

The site of a number of alleged burials, which were found in 1837, lies in featureless cultivated ground on a gentle E-facing slope 590m WSW of East Harlaw farmsteading (NJ72NE 173).
Visited by RCAHMS (JRS), 15 April 1999.

 
External Links

Aberdeenshire Historic Environment Record


 
Books and References

Ordnance Survey (Name Book) Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey (6 inch and 1/2500 scale). Held at RCAHMS on micro fiche.
Page(s): Book No. 13, 78 Held at RCAHMS Ref

Showing 1 from 1
Charity SC026749