Dyce, Saint Fergus' Church, Pictish Cross-Slab No 2
Alternative Names Chapel Of St Fergus; Old Parish Church Of Dyce; Dyce, Old Church
Site Type CROSS SLAB (PICTISH), OGHAM INSCRIBED STONE (PICTISH), PICTISH SYMBOL STONE (PICTISH)
Canmore ID 19466
Site Number NJ81NE 8.02
NGR NJ 8752 1541
Council ABERDEEN, CITY OF
Former Region GRAMPIAN
Former District CITY OF ABERDEEN
Former County ABERDEENSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
Notes NJ81NE 8.02 8752 1541
This Class II symbol stone is said to have been found in the glebe; it stood for a long time built into the wall of the churchyard, but has been placed [sic] under the Ancient Monuments Act and is now protected from the weather within the ancient church.
It is an upright cross-slab of granite, of rectangular shape, 4ft 6ins (1.4m) high by 2ft (0.6m) wide, sculptured in relief on one face with, in the middle of the cross at the top, a cross with round hollows in the angles between the arms and spiral terminations to the top and two side arms, the end of the shaft being square.
The ornament on the cross is arranged in five distinct pieces, but not divided into seperate panels, as follows: (1) in the centre of the cross a circular piece of spiral-work consisting of four triple sirals with C-shaped connections and joined to Stafford knots which fill in the triangular spaces between each of the three outer spirals; (2) on the top arm of the cross interlaced-work, composed of two Stafford knots facing upwards at the top, then two spiral knots twisting in opposite directions, and in the narrow part between the hollows on each side of the arm a single Stafford knot facing downwards; (3) on the left arm a distorted Stafford knot with an additional band through one loop of it, combined with a small piece of broken plait-work; (4) on the right arm of the cross, the same as on the left arm, except that, instead of the distorted Stafford knot, there is a spiral knot having a left-handed twist; (5) on the shaft of the cross, spiral knots arranged in two vertical rows, with four knots in each row, those in the left-hand row twisting and facing in opposite directions alternately, and those in the right-hand row arranged similarly except in the case of the bottom knot which twists and faces the same way as the knot immediately above it. The pattern terminates at the top in a Stafford knot facing upwards, and at the bottom by joining and twisting the bands coming from each row.
The background of the cross is plain on each side of the top arm. On the left of the shaft of the cross near the bottom is the crescent and V-shaped rod symbol, and on the right the mirror-case symbol. Below these on the left the disc and pair of rings symbol, and on the right the double disc and Z-shaped rod symbol. The crescent, the lower part of the mirror-case and the connecting bar of the double discs are ornamented with double spirals having C-shaped connections. The round part of the mirror-case and the double discs are ornamented with a dot and a small concentric circle in the centre, surrounded by two other circles with a break in one place forming a pennanular ring. The middle part of the disc and double ring is ornamented with three concentric circles.
J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.
Notes A Class II stone set up beside the (Class I) stone NJ81NE 8.01 is carved in relief with a floriated cross and shaft and the crescent and V-rod, mirror case, triple disc and double disc and Z-rod symbols.
R W Feachem 1963.
|Books and References|
Allen and Anderson, J R and J (1903) The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, Edinburgh
Page(s): 189-90 fig. 206 Held at RCAHMS G.1.11.ALL
Feachem, R (1963b) A guide to prehistoric Scotland, London
Page(s): 194 Held at RCAHMS E.2.FEA
Historic Scotland (1999e) The Picts in Tabraham, C Edinburgh
Page(s): 20 Held at RCAHMS E.11.HIS