Mull, Calgary House

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Calgary Castle
Site Type COUNTRY HOUSE
Canmore ID 21841
Site Number NM35SE 25
NGR NM 37759 51264
Council ARGYLL AND BUTE
Parish KILNINIAN AND KILMORE
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District ARGYLL AND BUTE
Former County ARGYLL
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NM35SE 25 37759 51264.

(NM 3776 5126) Calgary House: This small castellated Gothic mansion was built by Capt Allan McAskill, who purchased land in Mull in 1817. It was probably completed by 1823. The building was extended to the E, probably in the last quarter of the 19th century, but this addition does not affect the appearance of the original block, which is two storeys in height above a partly sunk basement; it measures 17.7m by 9.5m over all. This house was known as 'Calgary Castle' until about 1940.
Tomb: NM 3774 5188. A large 19th century Gothic design mural monument forms the S wall of a small railed burial enclosure some 200m S of the house.
RCAHMS 1980, visited 1973.

 
Books and References

RCAHMS (1980a) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the monuments volume 3: Mull, Tiree, Coll and Northern Argyll (excluding the early medieval and later monuments of Iona), Edinburgh
Page(s): 229-30, No. 351 illust Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/21

Showing 1 from 1
Charity SC026749