Fincharn Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Finchurn Castle; Fionchairn Castle; Finchairn
Site Type CASTLE, HALL HOUSE
Canmore ID 22777
Site Number NM80SE 2
NGR NM 89840 04367
Council ARGYLL AND BUTE
Parish KILMICHAEL GLASSARY
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District ARGYLL AND BUTE
Former County ARGYLL
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NM80SE 2 89840 04367

(NM 89840 04367) Fincharn Castle (NR) (remains of).
OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)

The very ruinous remains of this medieval hall-house stand on a rocky promontory near the south end of Loch Awe and on its eastern shore. It is two-storied, oriented NW-SE, the lower storey being an unvaulted basement having an entrance through the NW gable, with a bar hole in the left as one enters from the outside. The basement measures 39' by 17' 6" within walls 4' 6" thick generally, but 7' in the NW gable. Small slit windows with square heads and wide, internal splays occur at ground and first floor levels at the NW end, whilst other window openings, but with round, arched heads are traceable at first floor level. Externally the corners have been rounded and the masonry throughout is of early West Highland type.
The Lordship of Glassary, of which this is the manor place was erected in 1240, but the present ruin must represent a later castle. It is said to have belonged to the MacMartins or to the MacIains.
M Campbell and M Sandeman 1964; H Millar and J Kirkhope 1964.

As described. The castle wall survives to a height of about 5 metres. Surveyed at 1:10 000 scale.
Visited by OS (W D J) 2 March 1970.

20 July 1971
 EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Notes Of uncertain date possibly c.1300 Mediaeval Keep. Oblong. Rubble,
extensively dilapidated; roofless.
Groome's Gazetteer "C & D" Arch. IV p 392 MacPhail "Highland - Papers".
Ruin. On a rocky peninsula. Tradition relates that this was once the stronghold of a chief called MacMhic Iain. Recently acquired by the Earl of Dundee whose forbear had forfeited it in 1871.
Information from Historic Scotland, 20 July 1971

Further details

 
Books and References

Campbell and Sandeman, M and M (1964) 'Mid Argyll: an archaeological survey', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.95
Page(s): 87, No. 537

Millar and Kirkhope, H B and J (1964g) 'Fincharn Castle', Discovery Excav Scot
Page(s): 9

NSA (1834-1845) The new statistical account of Scotland by the ministers of the respective parishes under the superintendence of a committee of the society for the benefit of the sons and daughters of the clergy, 15v Edinburgh
Page(s): Vol. 7 (Argyll), 683 Held at RCAHMS B.2.2.STA

Showing 3 from 4 ...show more
Charity SC026749