Eilean Munde, St Mund's Chapel
Alternative Names Loch Leven, Eilean Munde, St Munn's Old Parish Church, Grave-Slabs
Site Type CHURCH, GRAVE SLAB(S)
Canmore ID 23541
Site Number NN05NE 1
NGR NN 0831 5911
Parish LISMORE AND APPIN (LOCHABER)
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District LOCHABER
Former County ARGYLL
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Recording Your Heritage Online
EILEAN MUNDE (St. Munda's Isle, after St. Fintan Mundus who founded a church here in the 7th century). Burial ground shared by the Camerons of Callart, the Stewarts of Ballachulish and Ardsheal, and the Macdonalds of Glencoe, with some good surviving gravestones. Ruinous church, burnt out 14 95; repaired 16th century and in use until c.1653.
Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk
|Notes and Activities|
NN05NE 1.00 0831 5911.
NN05NE 1.01 Centred NN 0831 5910 Burial Ground
(NN 0831 5911) St Munn's Church (NR) (remains of) (NAT)
OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)
At the west end of Eilean Munde are the ruins of the old parish church of Elanmunde, a former parish which served, on the south side of Loch Leven, Glencoe, and parts of Appin, and on the north side, the Inverness-shire districts of Onich and Mamore. The church measures 15.2 metres E-W by 4.9 metres transversely within walls 0.9 metres thick. Although now ruinous and ivy-covered, the east gable and south wall are fairly entire, and the other two walls still stand to a height of about 1 metre above the present floor level which, however, has been considerably raised by burials and is probably about 1 metre above the original ground level. The ground level outside the church has also risen to a similar extent. The church generally corresponds very closely in plan and dimensions with the former parish church of Inishail (NN02SE 2) and can be ascribed to the same period. The entrance doorway is situated toward the west end of the south wall. Two carved stones are built into the north wall towards it east end and probably derive from an earlier church standing on this site.
The whole area was eventually absorbed into the parish of Lismore and the church of Elanmunde abandoned, the last service being held there in July 1653. The dedication was evidently to St Munn. Two medieval carved funerary slabs are to be seen inside the church ruin whilst a number of post-Reformation slabs are to be found both in the church and in the burial ground outside. The burial ground is still in use as such.
RCAHMS 1975, visited August 1970.
As described above.
Surveyed at 1:10 000 scale.
Visited by OS (R L) 13 May 1970.
|Books and References|
Miers, M (2008) The Western Seaboard: an illustrated architectural guide, Edinburgh
RCAHMS (1975) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. Argyll: an inventory of the ancient monuments: volume 2: Lorn, Edinburgh
Page(s): 129-31, No. 245 plan fig. 120 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.INV/19
Ritchie and Harman, [J N] G and M (1996) Argyll and the Western Isles, Exploring Scotland's Heritage series, ed. by Anne Ritchie Edinburgh
Page(s): 20, 100 Held at RCAHMS A.1.4.HER