Glasgow, Finnieston, Lancefield Quay
Alternative Names Verreville Pottery
Site Type UNIDENTIFIED POTTERY (POTTERY)(19TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 240593
Site Number NS56NE 3028.01
NGR NS 573 651
Council GLASGOW, CITY OF
Parish GLASGOW (CITY OF GLASGOW)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CITY OF GLASGOW
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS56NE 3028.01 573 651
NS 573 651 A watching brief in April 2002 uncovered a series of pits containing waster sherds from the Verreville Pottery, which was situated immediately to the N of the site. Sherds include slipware, transfer ware, hand-painted wares and sponge-printed wares. All are represented in both their bisque and glazed states. Preliminary analysis suggests that most of the sherds date to the period when the pottery was owned by John Geddes (1802-30).
Report to be deposited in the NMRS.
Sponsor: Miller Homes (Scotland West) Ltd.
J Dawson 2002
|Books and References|
Dawson, J (2002) 'Lancefield Quay, Finnieston, Glasgow City (Glasgow parish), early 19th-century industrial pottery', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.3