Lake Of Menteith, Inchmahome Priory
Alternative Names Inchmahome Abbey
Site Type PRIORY
Canmore ID 24063
Site Number NN50SE 4
NGR NN 57440 00557
Parish PORT OF MENTEITH
Former Region CENTRAL
Former District STIRLING
Former County PERTHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Records held at National Archives of Scotland:
Isle of Menteith. Repair of the slate roof of the Earl of Menteith's burial place. Item included in work undertaken by Robert McFarlane, slater in Doune. Receipted account, 1716
Door for Earl of Monteith's burial place. Receipted account for work undertaken by John Grahame, wright at Port, 1718
The National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh
Amoung the 'Uncatalogued MSS of General Hutton', volume 1, 113-14, a ground plan and W view dated 1789.
|Notes and Activities|
(NN 5743 0054) Remains of Priory (NR)
(Augustinian. Founded AD 1238) (NAT).
OS 6"map, (1958).
The Priory of Inchmahome, founded 1238 - Description, history, and plan.
J S Richardson 1947.
Inchmahome Priory is as described and planned by MoW.
Visited by OS (RD) 18 October 1968.
NN 574 005 The ruins of the Augustinian priory of lnchmahome stand on an island in the Lake of Menteith. It was founded in 1238.
RCAHMS 1979, visited August 1978
Scots Magazine, October 1980.
NN 5743 0054 The excavation of a small hole, dug to receive a memorial tree, was monitored in October 1999. The excavations lay towards the N shore of the island, with the hole being located at a point 9m N of the foot of the mound immediately to the NE of the nave of the priory church (NMRS NN50SE 4). The hole lay beyond (N of) the limits of maintained land, within a narrow boundary strip leading to the shoreline, and was excavated to a depth of 450mm. A rubble deposit was located, appearing to derive from the demolition of priory buildings, possibly emanating from buildings on the N side of the nave, which have been totally removed. The level area and mound appear to have resulted from extensive landscaping. Whether these features represent part of the later plantation over the island, or part of earlier occupation, is not known. No finds were recovered.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland
G Ewart 2000
|13 July 2010||FIELD VISIT|
Notes NN 5738 0043 and NN 5748 0043 (centred on)
A site visit was made on 13 July 2010 to two areas where green glaze pottery and a large amount of glass, ceramic and iron had been recovered following a drop in the water level of the Lake of Menteith. Amongst the material recovered were three
sherds of water rolled green glaze pottery, several pieces of WW2 corkscrew-and-loop iron uprights for a barbed wire fence, bottle and teacup ceramics, and numerous pieces of glass.
Archive: RCAHMS (intended)
Funder: Historic Scotland
P Fox 2010
|Books and References|
Anon (1913-14) 'Excursions: Priory of Inchmahome', Trans Scot Eccles Soc Vol IV part 2
Anon (1930) Books of the Hour Scot Country Life April
Breeze, D J (2002) People and places: the men, women and places that made Scottish history, Edinburgh
Page(s): 30-31 Held at RCAHMS C.3.5.BRE