Taymouth Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Ballach; Balloch Castle; Taymouth Castle Policies
Site Type COUNTRY HOUSE (18TH CENTURY), HOTEL (20TH CENTURY), SCHOOL (20TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 24893
Site Number NN74NE 14
NGR NN 78440 46523
Council PERTH AND KINROSS
Parish KENMORE (PERTH AND KINROSS)
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District PERTH AND KINROSS
Former County PERTHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map


Architectural Notes

Owner: Breadalbane Estates.

Architects: William Adam c.1733 original square block demolished, West block existing
John Douglas 1743-50 working at castle new sash windows 10 May 1744, Dining Room and new entry to the house and other things 1746-1750.
Norie painter work 1742-54
Mr Cheere (John?) 1745-50 statuary for Taymouth
John Paterson 1797-1804 alterations and additions his work demolished 1805
Archibald Elliott 1801
Alexander Nasmyth 1806 design for the castle and design for a bridge
James and Archibald Elliot 1810 Main Lodge and Gate
James and Archibald Elliott 1806-12
Bernasconi Plasterwork drawing room and staircase
Thomas Bonnar painted decoration Baron's Hall and turret off and small turret off drawing room.
William Atkinson 1818-24 East wing. 1825-8 Additions to West block by Adam. 1829-30 Maxwell Cross and Iron (Chinese) bridge 1828.
JG Graham 1838-9 alterations to West wing, Queen's Room, Library and Dining Room.
JG Crace painted ceiling in drawing room and elsewhere
David Bryce 1842 additions to West wing
Peddie & Kinnear 1872 small dining room sideboard

NMRS REFERENCE
Sideboard at Kinpurnie, Angus (Sir James Cayzer) bought from Taymouth Castle sale for 10 pounds
Baron's Hall dated 1872

Extracts from Breadalbane MSS GD 112/21/77-79 accounts for work at Taymouth 1744-54

Breadalbane MSS GD 112/Section 2c/Box1 extracts from accounts all periods.

Breadalabne MSS GD 112/20/Box2/Bundle2/2 photocopy of list of plans relating to the east wing and Finlanrig Mausoleum.1824

Breadalbane MSS GD112/20/Box6/3/1 photocopy of list of plans supplied by Wm Atkinson 1826-1830

EXTERNAL REFERENCES
National Library
Nattes drawings, Vol 4 No 8 1 drawing

National Archives of Scotland
Breadlabane MSS GD 112/21/77-79

Repair of outer entry stair and the inner turnpike stair. Building of a stair up to the big Dining room and 'making up' of the rest of the walls and doors which enter now off the present wooden stair with a 'coarse' stair from the Loch to the main outer stair.
Estimate from ( ) Morigan, mason
N.D. (17th) GD112/20/1

Account for the making of a sundial for the Earl of Breadalbane by James Richardson. It amounts to 248 Scots pounds of which 194 pounds 4.0. Scots remains to be paid.
1715 GD112/20/1

Decision 'to build offices and suitable accomodation for the family'. The whole expense is to be paid out of Lord Breadalbane's yearly pension and the Estate is not to be charged therewith. 'The Gardener (Alexander Thomson) is to have a book wherein shall be entered every article of expense relating to the building so that no article of charge shall ever stand in the Chamberlain's accounts.'
Minute. Meeting of the Earl of Breadalbane, Lord Glenorchy and Lord Monzie.
1737 GD112/9/45
(Cross ref. GD112/21/77-79 and 114)

Supplying of lead for Taymouth Castle.
Accounts (2) from William Carnaby, Plumber.
1739 and 1740 GD112/20/1

Articles of Agreement for making a sundial. It has to have at least 130 dials and to be coloured or gilded according to the directions given. The meridian of Taymouth is 56 degrees 17' and the dials have to record the comparative hours at Edinburgh, London, Paris, Dublin and Jerusalem. Estimate from James Richardson, dialmaker amounts to 248 Scots pounds.
1710 GD112/20/1

Glazier work at Taymouth Castle. Receipted account for 75 pounds 6.4. from Alexander Tait.
1718 GD112/20/1

Building at Taymouth Castle.
Payments to Masons, Barrowmen, Quarriers, Wrights and Lime Burners.
Account of money received by Alex. Thomson, Gardener.
1737-1738 GD 112/21/114
(Cross ref GD112/9/45)
( " " GD112/21/77, 78, 79)

Marble slab for chimney pieces.
Account of Mason's work done by Alexander Rouchead for the Rt. Hon. Lord Glenorchy.
1744 GD112/21/231/54

Douglas, John (working mid 18th C) (?) Taymouth Castle
Payment of 3 guineas.
Noted in the personal account book of John, Lord Glenorchy, later 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1750 GD112/21/78

(Building at Taymouth Castle)
Payments to tradesmen. The following are noted:
Masons: Clark, Duff, Jamieson, Mack and Robertson.
Joiners: Henry, Paterson, Runciman, Scott and Yates.
Painter: Norie
Plasterer: Straton
Plumber: Riley
Smith: Richardson
Plumbers: Graham & Riley
Upholsterer: Cadell
Noted in the personal account boook of John, Lord Glenorchy, later 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.

(Building at Taymouth Castle)
Payment to workmen at Taymouth of 402 pounds 10. 6. Payments noted in the personal account book of John, Lord Glenorchy, later 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1741 GD112/21/77

Marble Chimney piece sent to Taymouth Castle. Payment of [Alexander] Rouchead's bill for 19 pounds. Noted in the personal account book of John, Lord Glenorchy, later 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1747 GD112/21/78

Morrice [ ] [ ] Architect. Payment of 10 guineas, Noted in the personal account book of John, Lord Glenorchy, later 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1747 GD112/21/78

Account for painterwork at Taymouth Castle. It includes paintings of the corners of the Old Castle in imitation of stone. Painter: James Norie (1684-1757)
1751 GD112/21/286/58

Building work at Taymouth Castle. Sums paid to tradesmen.
Noted in Cash Book kept by George McCulloch.
1755-1758 GD112/21/82

Building at Taymouth Castle.
Payments made to Alexander Thomson, Gardener, for disbursement to tradesmen working at Taymouth.
Noted in the personal account books of John, Lord Glenorchy, later 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1742-1755* GD112/21/77, 78, 79
(Cross ref. GD112/9/45)
*After this date payments are made to George MacCulloch, a general cashier for the household's wage and supplies.

Painterwork at Taymouth Castle.
Payment to Norie of 90 pounds.
Noted in the personal account book of the 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1762 GD112/21/80

Supply of lead for the towers of the Fort.
Payment of 14 pounds 5. 0. to Phillips and Chinnett, plumbers.
Noted in the personal account book of the 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1765 GD112/21/80

Paterson (John) (d.1832) Architect.
Payment to the Architect of 5 pounds for ( ).
Noted in the personal account book of the 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1770 GD112/21/80

PLans for a summerhouse.
Payment to (William) Baker. (1705-1771) Architect of 6 guineas (to include payment of Plans for a Church).
Noted in the personal account book of the 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1759 GD112/21/79

Douglas, John (working mid 18thC) Plans for Taymouth Castle.
Payment of 10 pounds 10. 0. for plans of the dining room, the entry to the House 'and other things'.
Noted in the personal account book of John, Lord Glenorchy, later 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1746 GD112/21/78

The Great Stair at Taymouth Castle.
Payment to (John) Duff, mason, of 68 pounds 10. 7. as part of his account for work on the stair.
Noted in the personal accountbook of John, Lord Glenorchy, later 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1751 GD112/21/78

Accounts of works.
Account of money laid out by Achalader said to have been noted by a Clerk after (Alexander) Thomson's death.
Noted in the personal account book of the 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1768 GD112/21/80

A description of a visit.
Particular mention is made of the house, the paintings, the temples of Venus and Aplo, Priory ruins, the Dardanelles Fort and the Tower.
Unsigned copy.
1773 GD112/22/26

Proposed addition to Taymouth Castle.
Letter to the Earl of Breadalbane at Taymouth from Robert Mylne, Architect, (1733-1811) in London. He has sent several drawings of the 'chateau' and the means of enlarging it.
1789 GD112/20/2

Furnishing of the 'new room' at Kenmore House indicated in an inventory of Taymouth House.
1755 GD112/22/23

Account for wright work at Kenmore House.
1774 GD112/21/232/36

Mason work at Kenmore House. Patrick Napier's account includes the putting up of chimneys and the laying of paving in the colonnade passage.
1774 GD112/21/232/38

Building alterations at Taymouth Castle.
Bills sent by John Paterson, Architect, requesting payment by John Campbell, W.S. to Mr. John Gregor, Mason, for his work at Taymouth Castle.
Countersigned.
1803-1804 GD112/20/7

Supervision of building at Taymouth Castle.
Receipted from John Paterson, Architect (d.1832) to the Earl of Breadalbane for the expense of sending Mr. (Alexander) Laing on various occasions to Taymouth.
1804 GD112/20/2
(Alexander Laing: Mason then an Architect. Died 1823)

Proposal to build the New House 'for the situation of Tomore'.
State of debt due by the (4th) Earl of Breadalbane to John Paterson, Architect (d.1832).
It includes charges for sketches of different plans for the New House and finished Drawings and Plans. (?1806)
1827 and 1828 GD112/20/1

Building Taymouth Castle.
Account of the builder work done by Mr. (John) Grigor.
Abstract of his claims for payment of 8990 pounds 1. 1 1/4.
1805 GD112/20/4

Proposed alterations to Plans for alterations to the Castle.
Letter from Alexander Trotter of Dreghorn to the Earl of Breadalbane.
He forwards his plans for alterations at Taymouth Castle and recommends (James) Elliot, whom he has used as a draughtsman, to Lord Breadalbane for employment on a future occasion.

Painterwork at Taymouth Castle.
Payments to Runciman and MacLaurin.
Noted in the personal account book of the 3rd Earl of Breadalbane.
1767-1770 GD112/21/80

'Mending' the House with the Wings and harling of the octagon.
Slater's account.
1774 GD112/21/332/22

Additions and alterations at Taymouth Castle.
Estimate from John Paterson, Architect in Edinburgh, (d.1832) for building and finishing a new design of a Castellated Porch with other alterations, according to his own plans.
It amounts to 3,913 pounds.
1797 GD112/20/4

Proposal to build the house on a different site.
Letter from the (4th) Earl of Breadalbane to John Gregor, Mason.
He wishes to alter the situation of the house to the Mount at Venus's temple and he asks John Gregor to submit an estimate for building the same house but on the new site. The estimate will not be submitted to John Paterson, Architect because the Earl is dissatisfied with his conduct.
1804 GD112/21/1

Building alterations at Taymouth Castle.
Payment for Plans and for Superintending the work.
Request and receipt for 20 pounds from John Paterson, Architect to John Campbell W.S.
1804 GD112/20/2

Architect's fees and expenses for work at Taymouth.
Discharge of Debt. Discharge by Mr John Paterson, Architect, in favour of the Rt Hon John, Earl of Breadalbane.
1828 GD112/20/1

Building techniques and supply of materials.
Letter from Archibald Elliot, Architect (1760-1823) to his brother James Elliot, Architect (1770-1810).
He describes a new technique of making columns from Portland Stone but he considers its use unecessary in Scotland where there is ample freestone. He informs James that Mr Brook has provided a price.

Payments for building at Taymouth Castle.
Made by John Campbell W.S. to John Gregor, builder, to John Paterson the Architect, and to (Alexander) Laing Architect, for his travelling expenses to taymouth. They amount to 2013 Pounds 5.8.
1803-1804 GD112/20/4

Alterations and additions to Taymouth Castle. State of Debt due by the (4th) Earl of Breadalbane to John Patterson, Architect. It includes charges for Designs and Drawings of additions, drawings and estimates for raising walls of the old drawing room, building the Corner Tower and adding another storey.
The cost of the work actually executed amounted to 7,500 pounds by 1805 after which date the contract was terminated.
1827 and 1828 GD112/20/1

Proposed alterations to plans of Taymouth Castle when it is built on a different site.
Letter from the (4th) Earl of Breadalbane to John Gregor, Mason.
The Earl wishes the east and west fronts extended about 40' with a square projection to the east and a circular one on the West. There is to be a sunk storey all around of about 12' depth, with a flagged area of 18' finished with a cast iron railing.
1804 GD112//20/4

Building the Great Centre Tower.
Account for Mason work from Allen Johnstone.
It amounts to 1,262 pounds 17. 4.
1808 GD112/20/2

Alterations, additions and completion of work at Taymouth Castle.
Contract betweeen the Earl of Breadalbane and James Miller and Allen Johnstone, Builders in Stirling, who agreee to execute the work for the sum of 12,681 pounds 1. 7.
1806 GD112/20/4
(some details to follow)

Building required by Contract with Miller and Johnstone.
The Contract with James Miller and Allen Johnstone the states that they are to finish in connection with the said building already erected, a House in the style of a Castle conforming to plans and elevations designed and drawn by James Elliot, Architect in Edinburgh.
1806 GD112/20/4

Building the Great Centre Tower.
Account for 9 Gothic windows.
It amounts to 289 pounds 2. 5.
1809 GD112/20/2

Expense of Building and finishing the castle.
Estimate of the expense of finishing the present Castle at Taymouth agreeable to the plans and specifications by Mr James Elliot, Architect in Edinburgh.
1806 GD112/20/4

Building of Taymouth Castle.
Letters from James Elliot, Architect, (1770-1810) to the (4th) Earl of Breadalbane.
He reports on the progress of the Great Centre Tower, the Corner Towers, the Entrance Hall with Cloisters on each side and the Great Gothic Hall. he promises to send a plan of the Entrance Hall and a complete plan of the Castle.
1806-1807 GD112/20/2

Demolition required by Contract with Miller and Johnstone. A great part of the work having been executed by John Gregor, the Earl of Breadalbane wished alterations and additions made and the work completed therefore he entered he entered into this contract with James and Archibald Elliot, Architects in Edinburgh, to take down the battlements, cornices and upper parts of the walls and the towers of the South front of the building already erected to the level of the bedchamber storey. The walls of the Great staircase are to be reduced to the same level.
1806 GD112/20/4

Wright and plaster work done on the Great Staircase and Cloistered Gallery round it in addition to the contract.
Account for the work from Allen Johnstone.
It amounts to 607 pounds 19. 7.
1810 GD112/20/2

Statement of agreement with John Gregor, Mason.
The contract states that mutual consent had brought to an end the agreement between John, Earl of Breadalbane and John Gregor, mason in Bridge End of Perth. It had bound John Gregor to take down and carry away the rubbish of the old buildings at Taymouth and to erect and finish a new house in the style of a Castle conforming to plans and elevations designed and drawn by John Paterson, Architect in Edinburgh.
1806 GD112/20/4

Building of Taymouth Castle.
Accounts for mason, wright, plumber and glazier work.
Submitted by Allan Johnstone.
1806-1810 GD112/20/2
(some details to follow)

Building of Cloisters to the South Front of the castle.
Account for mason work from Allan Johnstone.
It amounts to 2,514 pounds 16. 0.
ND GD112/20/2

Alterations and additions to Taymouth Castle.
Letter from John Paterson, Architect (d.1832) to the (4th) Earl of Breadalbane.
He requests payment of 441 pounds with interest, still owed from 3 years back for plans and a survey of Taymouth.
1807 GD112/20/2

Building of Taymouth Castle.
Payment of James Elliot's (Architect's) draft to A Johnstone and M Miller ofr 500 pounds 'being another installment for Taymouth Castle'
Quarterly account of the Rt Hon Earl of Breadalbane with John Campbell W.S.
1807 GD112/74/19

Supplying of veined marble chimney pieces for Taymouth Castle.
Account for 82 pounds 13.0. from John King, Mason, of Wells Street, Oxford Street, London.
1808 GD112/20/2

Proposed Porch and Stone Cloisters to be built in front of Taymouth Castle.
Specification signed by Allan Johnstone.
1809 GD112/20/4

Account of payments made to John Gregor (Mason-contractor) for the old and new contract for building at Taymouth, including what was allowed by award of the arbiter, up to January 1806. Payments amount to 12,000 pounds. At the beginning of the notebook the following is written: 'Mr Gregor laid the foundation of Taymouth under the inspection of Mr Paterson, Spring 1801'.
ND GD112/20/2

Alterations and additions to Taymouth Castle. Arbitration arising out of Termination of Contract (in 1805). Final Decreet Arbitral in the submission betwixt John, Earl of Breadalbane and John Gregor (Mason-contractor).
1808 GD112/20/1

Progress of the plasterwork being done at Taymouth Castle.
Letter to the Earl of Breadalbane from James Elliot, Architect.
1808 GD112/51/8

Gothic and Ornamental plasterwork done at Taymouth Castle.
Account amounting to 634 pounds 10. 9. for work done in addition to Contract.
1808 GD112/20/4

Stucco and plaster work at Taymouth Castle.
Letter to (James) Elliot, Architect, (1770-1810) from Francis Bernasconi.
Lord and Lady Breadalbane have watched the progress of the designs and are highly satisfied. Models and sketches are to be made and working drawings for the mouldings sent to Taymouth. He outlines plans for the drawing room, the great hall and the dining room.
1809
Agreeement to make 16 marble chimney pieces for Taymouth Castle.
Made by John King, Mason, of Wells Street, Oxford Street, London with the Rt Hon the Earl of Breadalbane.
Sketches show two sizes.
1809 GD112/20/2

Plasterwork at the great staircase being built at Taymouth Castle
Agreement between the Earl of Breadalbane and Francis Bernasconi.
1809 GD112/20/4

Stucco and Plasterwork and alterations at Taymouth Castle.
Letter to Lord Breadlabane from James Elliot. Architect (1770-1810).
He has received the model of the ceiling of the great hall and other drawings from Mr (Francis) Bernasconi. He encloses sketches for Lord Breadalbane and wouold like his opinion on several points before the work is begun. He is critical of the proposed alterations to the dining room ceiling, of the size of certain doors, and of the change of position of the door leading to the NE corner tower.
GD112/20/1

Marble supplied and laid according to the Designs for Floors at Taymouth Castle.
Account from John Marshall, Leith Walk.
It amounts to 325 pounds 2. 8.
1810-1811 GD112/20/4

Designs for fireplaces.
Unsigned.
ND. GD112/20/1

Stucco and plasterwork done at Taymouth Castle.
Accounts (2) amounting to 6045 pounds 19. 9 1/2.
They include the plasterwork of the great drawing room, the grand staircase, the circular room, both dining rooms, the baron's hall, entrance halls, music room and cloisters.
Plasterer: Francis Bernasconi (1762-1823)
Architects: James (1770-1810) and Archibald (1760-1823) Elliot.
1809-1810 GD112/20/1

Detailed notes on charges considered inadmissable by the Earl of Breadalbane in accounts rendered by Alan Johnstone for work at Taymouth Castle. Lord Breadalbane considers that Johnstone has taken advantage of James Elliot's death and he appoints Archibald Elliot, James's brother, as Architect, and as arbitrator in the dispute.
1809-1811 GD112/20/2

Building of Taymouth Castle.
Account due to the late James Elliot, Architect, for expenses 1526 pounds 2. 3 1/2.
1810 GD112/20/2

Gothic Chimney Pieces.
Receipted account for 4 chimney pieces supplied by Lancelot Wood, Chelsea.
It amounts to 184 pounds 1. 4. 3 of the chimney pieces are worked in Kilkenny Marble, and 1 in Roach Abbey stone.
1810 GD112/20/4

Completion of Contract for building Taymouth Castle.
Memorandum states that according to the Contract the work is finished.
After 1810 work carried out is additional and done after verbal agreement
1810 GD112/20/4

Building at Taymouth Castle and Achmore House. Account from James Elliot, Architect, for his Commission and expenses.
It amounts to 2103 pounds 8. 3.
1806-1810 GD112/20/4

Diasposition of chimney pieces in the various rooms of Taymouth Castle.
1810 GD112/20/1

Additional work carried out at Taymouth Castle. Account of the expense amounting to 4, 346 pounds 9. 10.
This includes the payment of 1,190 pounds 5. 0. to Francis Bernasconi for plaster work.
1811 GD112/20/4

Alterations and additions at Taymouth Castle. Account for mason and joiner work from Allan Johnstone. (Mason-contractor).
It amounts to 2, 682 pounds 13. 10.
1811 GD112/20/1

Building of Taymouth Castle. memorandum for the earl of Breadalbane.
Unsigned. A further payment of 248 pounds to be made to Allan Johnstone.
1811 GD112/20/2

Design for the frame of a mirror over the fireplace.
Unsigned.
ND. GD112/20/1

Plasterwork at Taymouth Castle.
Account for Francis Bernasconi.
It amounts to 6120 pounds 2. 3.
1809-1811 GD112/20/4

Repair of plasterwork at Taymouth Castle.
Account amounting to 78 pounds 11. 9 1/2.
Plasterer: Francis Bernasconi (1762-1841)
1811 GD112/20/1

Estimate for marble chimney piece to be executed in black ink and gold marble by Oldfield and Turner.
It amounts to 150 pounds.
1811 GD112/20/1

Painterwork at Taymouth Castle. Receipted account for 140 pounds from Messrs. Dixon and Sons, London.
1811 GD112/20/4

Estimate for doors and shutters from Newton and Son.
1811 GD112/20/1

Supply of Craigleith stone for building at Taymouth Castle.
Account for 227 pounds 2. 3.
1811 GD112/20/4

Building at Taymouth Castle and Achmore House.
Account from Archibald Elliot, Architect, for his Commission and expenses.
It amounts to 207 pounds 18. 3.
1810-1812 GD112/20/4

Building at Taymouth Castle. Accounts rendered by Allan Johnstone, Mason-contractor for mason, wright plaster and plumber work, some of it additional to the contract, and a list of deductions for work not completed.
1808-1812 GD112/20/4

Building Taymouth Castle.
Account from Archibald Elliot, Architect, Edinburgh.
It amounts to 223 pounds 0. 11.
1812 GD112/20/4

Ornamental stonework for Taymouth Castle.
Account from Coade and Sealy, for 540 pounds 13. 6.
It includes a Gothic chimneypiece carved with Arms and Crest, for the Baron's Hall, and a Triton and basin for a fountain in Coral rock.
1813-1814 GD112/20/4

Furniture made for Taymouth Castle.
Accounts from David Taylor, Wardour Street, Soho and a letter giving detailed descriptions of the elaborate and richly ornamented cabinets designed in mahogany or tulip and king wood with chased brass friezes, mosaic borders and porcelain entablatures.
1813 and 1815 GD112/20/4

Account of payments made to Johnstone and Millar at different periods up to May 1812.
After various deductions they amount to 18,610 pounds 16. 5.
Notebook
ND GD112/20/2

Building at Taymouth Castle.
Final report upon Mr (Allan) Johnstone's accounts made by Archibald Elliot and Robert reid, Architects in Edinburgh and its acceptance by the earl of Breadalbane and Allan Johnstone.
1812 GD112/20/4

Inventory of papers relative to the new building.
1812 GD112/20/4

Painterwork at Taymouth Castle.
Letter and account from Cornelius Dixon.
Account amounts to 3, 317 pounds 9. 3 3/4.
1813 GD112/20/4

Furniture and furnishing of Taymouth Castle.
List of accounts.
They amount to 16,398 pounds 0. 0.
1811-1816 GD112/20/4

Building of the garden wall and hothouses for the new garden at Taymouth Castle.
Mason's account and an abstract of the accounts for mason, wright and slaterwork, amounting to 2,665 pounds 17. 8.
1808-1818 GD112/20/4

Building of the East wing and offices.
Memoranda, letters and accounts concerning the working of stone and the making and supplying of bricks.
1819-1820 GD112/20/4

Account for demolishin and removing the Old Wing at Taymouth Castle.
Included in receipted accounts for the supply of buildings materials.
1821 GD112/20/2

Building the New East Wing at Taymouth Castle.
Payments made to Masons and Labourers.
1820-1822 GD112/20/2

Abstract respecting the state of Taymouth Castle.
Taken from Mr. Cattell's letter.
Inspection has shown that damp has badly affected the Battlements and Attic Floor on the North side and the Corner Towers. The mason's work on the centre Tower is poor. Stones have been set on edge, many are only 1 1/2" thick and several thrown out by frost.
1818 GD112/20/2

Building the New East Wing at Taymouth Castle.
Payments made to carpenters.
1821 GD112/20/2

Superintending works at Taymouth Castle 1820-1821.
Receipted account from J. Bradbear.
1822 GD112/20/3

Sketches of the roof illustrate a report on its condition.
Letter from J. Bradbear to Mr. (William) Atkinson, Architect.
1822 GD112/20/4

Building the New East Wing at Taymouth Castle.
Receipted accounts from tradesmen.
Receipted accounts for building supplies.
1822 GD112/20/3

Painter and Plasterwork at Taymouth Castle.
Receipt dated 1816, for 6,089 pounds 15. 7. from Francis Bernasconi for plasterwork
1809-1811
Receiot dated 1816 for 3,317 pounds 9. 3. from Dixon and Son for painterwork 1811-1812.
Enclosed in a covering letter adressed to Keith, Christie and Horne Accountants.
1825 GD112/20/3

Condition of the roof of Taymouth Castle.
Necessity for Crerar, the Mason, and William Skene to maintain a night watch upon the leaking roof in times of storm.
1825 GD112/22/38

Work on the West Wing of Taymouth Castle.
State of Advances to John Murray for payments to plumber, painter and bellhanger.
The sums amount to 334 pounds 3. 1 1/4.
1828 GD112/74/16

Paving the NW arcade and erection of an outer stone stair at the West Wing of Taymouth Castle.
Estimate and receipt from Donald Crerar and James cameron.
1828 GD112/74/16

List of Plans of the New East Wing, the Offices and Stables.
1819-1822 GD112/20/1

Alterations and additions at Taymouth Castle.
List of Plans, Elevations and Working Drawings.
They mainly concern New Wings, an addition to the West wing, the Anteroom, the Gallery, ceilings, windows and plaster mouldings.
Sketches were made for Towers and for ornamental buildings for the Porch, and Plans for the inlaid floors of the Dairy.
Account from William Atkinson, Architect.
1826-1830 GD112/20/6

Statement of John Murray, Clerk of Works' accounts for work on the New West Wing, the Old Wing and the Colonnades.
It amounts to 3,130 pounds 8. 3 1/2. and includes payments to traddesmen, labourers and Clerk of Works.
1826-1829 GD112/20/3

Additions and alterations at Taymouth Castle.
Abstract of Estimates for the Plasterwork of the Library and the Gothic Hall.
Cobvering letter from James Gillespie Graham, Architect.
1839 GD112/20/1/3/21 and 22

Additions and alterations at Taymouth Castle.
Letter to the Marquis of Breadalbane from James Gillespie Graham.
It accompanied sketches of a conservatory constructed in Cast Iron.
The access to the conservatory would be through a light Gothic screen.
1839 GD112/20/1/3/23

Additions and alterations at Taymouth Castle.
Letter to the Countess of Breadalbane from James Gillespie Graham, Architect (1776-1855). It accompanied his Plans and Elevations for the West Wing of the Castle.
1838 GD112/20/1/3/18

Additions and alterations at Taymouth Castle. Note of sums advanced.
They amount to 2, 093 pounds 18. 7 1/2. Architect: James Gillespie Graham (1776-1855)
Clerk of Works: James Smith.
1838 GD112/20/1/3/17

Building the Colonnade stairs at Taymouth Castle.
Receipt for payment from Donald Crer and James Cameron.
1829 GD112/74/16

Alterations to the Castle and the addition of a West Wing.
Description of work and details of Workmen's Time and Expenses.
Total expenditure amounts to 3,650 pounds 3. 4 3/4.
1826-1829 GD112/20/2

Estimates and accounts for building at Taymouth Castle.
They concern the North, West and South Colonnades, the West Wing and the Colonnade stairs.
1828-1829 GD112/74/16

Additions and alterations at Taymouth Castle.
Specification, Measurement and Estimate for Plaster Work.
William Baird's estimate amounts to 770 pounds 13. 0 3/4.
1839 GD112/20/1/3/19

Additions and alterations at Taymouth Castle.
Letter to the Marquis of Breadalbane from James Gillespie Graham.
In the letter he discusses the merits of heating by warm air or by hot water.
1839 GD112/20/1/3/23

Additions and alterations at Taymouth Castle.
Letter from Robert Ritchie to James Gillespie Graham, Architect.
It concerns his plans for heating the Castle by warm air.
1839 GD112/20/1/3/27

Fitting up of the Library at Taymouth Castle.
Letter and estimate from George Potts.
The estimate amounts to 388 pounds.
1839 GD112/20/1/3/33

Expenditure on the new building. Sum of Tradesmen's and household's accounts.
1739 GD112/20/1

Expense of additions and alterations at Taymouth Castle. Payments to 12,266 pounds 14. 8 1/2. Accounts unpaid amount to 784 pounds 4. 8 1/2.
1840 GD112/20/1/3/35

Additions and alterations at Taymouth Castle. Reports on the progress of the work, sent to J F Wylie from James Smith [Clerk of Works] and William Gray.
1839 GD112/20/1/3/26, 28, 29, 30 and 31

Expense of alterations and additions at Taymouth Castle. Clerk of Works's payments amount to 11, 894 pounds 17. 4 1/2. and together with payments made by the factor the total is 15, 324 pounds 10. 7 1/4.
1840 GD112/20/1/3/36

Decoration and furnishing of Taymouth Castle for the visit of HM Queen Victoria. Abstract of Accounts amounting to 7, 671 pounds 12. 1. due to Frederick Crace and Son. The accounts cover painting, papering, ornamental plastering, gilding, brasswork and upholstery.
1841-1842 GD112/20/2

Alterations at Taymouth Castle.
Expenditure has amounted to 13,000 pounds.
The Architect, James Gillespie Graham's fee for Designs, and working drawings prepared for the Baron's Hall, Great Gothic Hall, and the Library amounts to 650 pounds.
1838-1842 GD112/20/5/28

Lighting of the Great Hall of Taymouth Castle for the Queen's visit. (James) Gillespie Graham has proposed large candleabra of peeled oak and he is forwarding designs.
1842 GD112/50/1

Redecoration of the Castle for the visit of HM Queen Victoria.
Abstract of Accounts from Frederick Crace and Son, Wigmore Street, London. The accounts amount to 6, 671 pounds 12. 1. They include sums for plasterwork, papering, painting gilding, brasswork and upholstery, and the supply of tapestries and armour.
1842 GD112/20/2

Decoration of the two Drawing room ceilings. Details provided by Frederick Crace and Son's account. The ceiling of the small Drawing Room is decorated with Gothic arabesque ornament in compartments and painted portrait heads on a gold ground. On the ceiling of the large Drawing room richly illuminated ornaments introduce armorial shields and heralic figures.
1842 GD112/20/1/46

Building of an Arcade and a Dinner Lift and the provision of heating. Estimates and accounts for carpenter, joiner, plumber and plasterwork from Thomas Stevenson, builder, Edinburgh. REport on the extra Mason and Plasterwork and report on the accounts.
Architects: Messrs. Peddie and Kinnear, Edinburgh
1872-1875 GD112/20/3

Plan of Dairy GD112/20/Box1 (1/12)

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NN74NE 14.01 NN 784 465 Garden
NN74NE 14.02 NN 78243 46734 Chinese Bridge
NN74NE 14.03 NN 77978 45915 Dairy and terrace
NN74NE 14.04 NN 78148 46817 Rock Lodge
NN74NE 14.05 NN 77131 45867 Mains of Taymouth
NN74NE 14.06 NN 78926 46925 Newhall Bridge
NN74NE 14.07 NN 79038 46790 Newhall
NN74NE 14.08 NN 76909 45689 Walled garden
NN74NE 14.09 NN 78136 45571 Apollo's Temple
NN74NE 14.10 NN 7830 4552 Sawmill
NN74NE 14.11 NN 78451 46592 Icehouse
NN74NE 14.12 NN 78126 45641 Dairy Byre
NN74NE 14.13 NN 7817 4560 Curling pond
NN74NE 14.14 NN 77155 45630 Former Lodge (The Beeches)
NN74NE 14.15 centred NN 7835 4665 military camp
NN74NE 14.17 NN 78268 45627 Apollo's Temple, estate bridge
NN74NE 14.18 NN 78819 46377 Gravel pits, estate bridge
NN74NE 14.19 NN 782 463 Ramparts (SW of Taymouth Castle)
NN74NE 14.20 NN 7714 4578 Estate gasworks
NN74NE 14.20 NN 77561 45974 Maxwell's Temple
NN74NE 14.21 NN 77369 45495 Kenmore Gate
NN74NE 14.23 NN 78933 47870 Rustic Lodge
NN74NE 14.24 NN 78815 46575 Star Battery
NN74NE 14.25 NN 77125 45783 Estate Gasworks
NN74NE 14.26 NN 78980 46163 'Fort'
NN74NE 14.27 NN 79099 45613 Braes of Taymouth, The Tower
NN74NE 14.28 NN 7902 4610 Fort Lodge
NN74NE 14.29 NN 7629 4534 Dalerb Rustic Lodge

For Main (East) Lodge and gates (NN 80535 47749), see NN84NW 87.

For discovery of Roman coins 'in digging the foundation of a tower' near Taymouth (NN c. 78 46), see NN74NE 20.
For the discovery of a stone axe near Taymouth Castle, see NN74NE 44.
For mound (NN 7723 4577) near Mains of Taymouth, see NN74NE 48.
For cropmarks at NN 774 459, see NN74NE 72.

Although Taymouth Castle falls within the parish of Kenmore (Perthshire), the policies extend into that of Dull. Specifically, the East Lodge (NN84NW 87), falls within the latter parish.

(NN 7845 4650) Taymouth Castle on Site of (NAT)
Balloch Castle (NR)
OS 6" map (1900)

The old Scottish tower house, Balloch Castle, built about 1550 by Sir Colin Campbell, was remodelled c.1733 by William Adam who added two flanking pavilions linked to the main block. Of all this only Adam's west wing remains under later remodellings. The centre block of the present building dates from 1806-10.
A Rowan 1964

Nothing survives of Balloch Castle. The present Taymouth Castle is entirely modern and in intermittent use.
Visited by OS (JM) 4 December 1974

SDD listed: 'A'.
SDD List 1964

No change to previous field report.
Visited by OS (BS) 28 November 1978

Scottish Record Office
Repair of Shooting Lodges on the Estate.
Copy of report by John Dewar, Carpenter at Kenmore.
Repair work completed or about to be undertaken at: Iron Lodge
1862 GD112/20/1/1/2

In 1999 a watching brief was carried out during the laying of a new pipeline along the west side of the castle. During the second world war this area had been occupied by a camp (see NN74NE 14:15) housing Polish soldiers and a few of the camp buildings are still standing. During the watching brief snow obscured the base of the excavated corridor. The pipe trench excavation, however, revealed brick and concrete rubble, remains of former World War Two camp buildings, a sewer, and a cast iron pipe. Below the building remains truncated garden soil 0.20m thick had survived in places. Where the corridor intercepted the roadway between the Chinese Bridge and the Castle, an alignment of natural stones laid flat formed a kerb for an earlier road surface. Apart from the kerb no remains of earlier garden features were observed.
R Cachart 1999

Standing building recording; watching brief NN 7844 4652 Historic building recording was undertaken between June and December 2005 of this 350-room castle complex (NN74NE 14.00) in advance of and during ongoing renovation.
The principal findings have been:
Original castle. It seems that little now remains of 16th-century Balloch Castle, other than the many re-used stones and a single substantial wall footing that have been encountered so far. The latter was revealed along the W side of the main block during interior services excavations and may be the footing of the W wall of the SW tower of the castle.
Main block. The general interior strip of the upper levels of the main block confirmed it to be of a single principal phase (Elliot, c 1810). Other than a general record of construction details and minor subsequent modifications (partition sub-divisions, etc.), the principal discoveries in these areas were numerous fragments of early decorative schemes, in particular a wide range of early wallpapers, many of the highest quality, and some previously unidentified papers by Crace. Some of these may relate to a redecoration in advance of Queen Victoria's visit in 1842.
W wing. Surviving parts of the 1730s William Adam extensions to the castle were better defined, principally within the W wing where his original two-storeyed pavilion was re-faced and raised by a storey. Here, much of the original internal arrangements were recordable. One 1730s window was discovered in situ, external dressings complete and surrounded by original limewashed harl. The 1730s stair was found not to be in the same position as original designs by Adam in his Vitruvius Scoticus suggest, rather it was further to the W.
E wing. In the E wing, an extensive early 19th-century kitchen and stables court, the general sequence of construction was recorded, with blocks of ranges added, perhaps year by year. First built were the kitchen range to the W and accommodation to the SW. Next were the eastern part of the S range and the western three-fifths of the N range. On their courtyard elevations these latter constructions re-use 1730s window dressings from the demolished William Adam E wing.
It was discovered that the NE part of the complex was added somewhat later. Below floor level within this area earlier walls and cobbled surfaces were revealed that may relate to the 18th-century stables/offices complex known to have been on the site.
The original early 19th-century stables were identified following stripping of later internal linings at the E end of the S range - large chambers with hay lofts above on either side of the clock tower.
Within a ground floor room at the W end of the S range, a substantial overmantel painting of a coat of arms, most likely
of the Earls of Breadalbane, was identified and now awaits conservation.
A complicated sequence of later infill structures within the courtyard were recorded during demolition. Of these, the 1920s boiler house was found to contain a series of painted vignettes on its walls, one of which represented the sinking of the sister-ship of the Titanic, the Lusitania, by the Imperial German Navy in 1915.
Services tracks were excavated around the exterior wall footings of the entire castle, and internally in a number of areas. Little that pre-dated the standing buildings was identified, and most features were found to have been cut directly into the gravelly subsoil. Almost no overlying stratigraphy was encountered. Wall footing structures were recorded in most areas. Within the area of the NW re-entrant of the main block and the W wing, a series of substantially built
subterranean ducts was discovered - masonry walled and capped with large slabs. This system, which was also revealed within the interior of the structures, seems to be early 19th century.
Archive to be deposited in NMRS.
Sponsor: Taymouth Highland Village Co Ltd.
T Addyman, K Macfadyen 2005

1964
 REFERENCE

Notes The old Scottish tower house, Balloch Castle, built about 1550 by Sir Colin Campbell, was remodelled c.1733 by William Adam who added two flanking pavilions linked to the main block. Of all this only Adam's west wing remains under later remodellings. The centre block of the present building dates from 1806-10.
A Rowan 1964

Further details

4 December 1974
 FIELD VISIT

Notes Nothing survives of Balloch Castle. The present Taymouth Castle is entirely modern and in intermittent use.
Visited by OS (JM) 4 December 1974

Further details

28 November 1978
 FIELD VISIT

Notes No change to previous field report.
Visited by OS (BS) 28 November 1978

Further details

19 June 1990
 SITE MANAGEMENT

Project Buildings at Risk Register BARR

Notes Magnificent Neo-Gothic castle in mainly chlorite-slate ashlar. The main 4 storey block features circular angle towers that rise to 5 storeys. The castle is the result of several schemes of aggrandisement of what was originally the 16th century Balloch Castle, by no less than 5 important architects in little more than a century. The 1st Earl of Breadalbane employed William Adam in 1733 to design 2 classical wings which were linked to the medieval centrepiece by quadrant walls.

In 1799 the 3rd Earl largely demolished the old castle to the centre and a replacement block was begun in 1801 by John Paterson. A new scheme of 1806 by James and Archibald Elliot superseded this, and a new main block with Gothic cloister was completed in 1810, echoing Inveraray Castle. Subsequent extensions resulted in a building on a scale unrivalled in Scotland. In 1818 Adam's east wing was replaced, and by 1823 the west wing had been transformed and castellated.

New semi-irregular extensions were added by William Atkinson. The celebrated plasterer Francis Bernasconi decorated the rooms between 1809 and 1812. The interior was remodelled in 1835 by James Gillespie Graham, who designed the richly carved library and the gothic chapel (or banner hall). In the 1840s, J. G. Crace repainted and gilded the ceilings. The 18th century formal garden is possibly to a design by William Adam, although the grounds were modified and embellished throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. (Historic Scotland)

The castle and its contents were sold in 1922 and it became a hotel. The site operated as a Polish hospital during the war and was later leased to a civil defence school.

BARR website http://www.buildingsatrisk.org.uk/details/894064

Further details

5 May 1999
 WATCHING BRIEF

Notes In 1999 a watching brief was carried out during the laying of a new pipeline along the west side of the castle. During the second world war this area had been occupied by a camp (see NN74NE 14:15) housing Polish soldiers and a few of the camp buildings are still standing. During the watching brief snow obscured the base of the excavated corridor. The pipe trench excavation, however, revealed brick and concrete rubble, remains of former World War Two camp buildings, a sewer, and a cast iron pipe. Below the building remains truncated garden soil 0.20m thick had survived in places. Where the corridor intercepted the roadway between the Chinese Bridge and the Castle, an alignment of natural stones laid flat formed a kerb for an earlier road surface. Apart from the kerb no remains of earlier garden features were observed.
R Cachart 1999

Further details

2005
 STANDING BUILDING RECORDING

Notes Standing building recording; watching brief NN 7844 4652 Historic building recording was undertaken between June and December 2005 of this 350-room castle complex (NN74NE 14.00) in advance of and during ongoing renovation.
The principal findings have been:
Original castle. It seems that little now remains of 16th-century Balloch Castle, other than the many re-used stones and a single substantial wall footing that have been encountered so far. The latter was revealed along the W side of the main block during interior services excavations and may be the footing of the W wall of the SW tower of the castle.
Main block. The general interior strip of the upper levels of the main block confirmed it to be of a single principal phase (Elliot, c 1810). Other than a general record of construction details and minor subsequent modifications (partition sub-divisions, etc.), the principal discoveries in these areas were numerous fragments of early decorative schemes, in particular a wide range of early wallpapers, many of the highest quality, and some previously unidentified papers by Crace. Some of these may relate to a redecoration in advance of Queen Victoria's visit in 1842.
W wing. Surviving parts of the 1730s William Adam extensions to the castle were better defined, principally within the W wing where his original two-storeyed pavilion was re-faced and raised by a storey. Here, much of the original internal arrangements were recordable. One 1730s window was discovered in situ, external dressings complete and surrounded by original limewashed harl. The 1730s stair was found not to be in the same position as original designs by Adam in his Vitruvius Scoticus suggest, rather it was further to the W.
E wing. In the E wing, an extensive early 19th-century kitchen and stables court, the general sequence of construction was recorded, with blocks of ranges added, perhaps year by year. First built were the kitchen range to the W and accommodation to the SW. Next were the eastern part of the S range and the western three-fifths of the N range. On their courtyard elevations these latter constructions re-use 1730s window dressings from the demolished William Adam E wing.
It was discovered that the NE part of the complex was added somewhat later. Below floor level within this area earlier walls and cobbled surfaces were revealed that may relate to the 18th-century stables/offices complex known to have been on the site.
The original early 19th-century stables were identified following stripping of later internal linings at the E end of the S range - large chambers with hay lofts above on either side of the clock tower.
Within a ground floor room at the W end of the S range, a substantial overmantel painting of a coat of arms, most likely
of the Earls of Breadalbane, was identified and now awaits conservation.
A complicated sequence of later infill structures within the courtyard were recorded during demolition. Of these, the 1920s boiler house was found to contain a series of painted vignettes on its walls, one of which represented the sinking of the sister-ship of the Titanic, the Lusitania, by the Imperial German Navy in 1915.
Services tracks were excavated around the exterior wall footings of the entire castle, and internally in a number of areas. Little that pre-dated the standing buildings was identified, and most features were found to have been cut directly into the gravelly subsoil. Almost no overlying stratigraphy was encountered. Wall footing structures were recorded in most areas. Within the area of the NW re-entrant of the main block and the W wing, a series of substantially built
subterranean ducts was discovered - masonry walled and capped with large slabs. This system, which was also revealed within the interior of the structures, seems to be early 19th century.
Archive to be deposited in NMRS.
Sponsor: Taymouth Highland Village Co Ltd.
T Addyman, K Macfadyen 2005

Further details

28 March 2012 to 29 May 2012
 EXCAVATION

Notes NN 78681 45864 to NN 78630 45797 On 28 March 2012 a watching brief was kept during soil stripping for a new road within the grounds of Taymouth Castle. Nothing of archaeological significance was uncovered along this 95m-long trench. NN 7770 4525 An area measuring some 1,400m2 was stripped of topsoil between 28 March and 2 April 2012, in advance of the construction of a contractor's compound towards the SW corner of the castle grounds. A few interesting features were uncovered. At NN 77675 45256 was a sub-rectangular pit, measuring 2.2m by 0.8m by 0.3m deep and filled with much burnt material. Although it had no stone or clay floor, this feature was probably a kiln. At the N end of the trench, at NN 77692 45288, was a post-pit, measuring 1m in diameter and 0.4m deep with some large packers. Nearby, at NN 77702 45290, was a smaller post-pit and, at NN 77695 45284 was what appeared to be a hearth. Other, related features may be uncovered when the trench is extended for the construction of an equestrian centre, as part of the wholesale redevelopment of the castle grounds. NN 77693 45479; NN 79094 46634; NN 78377 45722 On 25 May 2012 watching briefs were kept during excavations for three new electricity sub-stations where nothing of archaeological significance was uncovered. NN 78291 46667 TO NN 78432 46543 On 28-29 May 2012 a watching brief was kept during the excavation of a service trench from near the 'Chinese Bridge' to the rear of the castle, a distance of some 200m. Nothing of significance was encountered in this trench.
Information from Oasis (scotiaar1-130564) 12 September 2012

Further details

 
Books and References

Addyman and Macfadyen, T and K (2005) 'Taymouth Castle and Estate, Perth and Kinross (Kenmore parish), standing building recording; watching brief', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.6
Page(s): 110-111

Anon (1838) Guide pittoresque du voyageur en Ecosse: orne de 120 vues, representant les principaux edifices, les curiosites naturelles, les chateaux remarquables, et tous les lieux cites par Walter Scott..., In French Paris
Page(s): p.243 Held at RCAHMS D.20.GUI.R

Bosomworth, D (1987) '[Taymouth Castle]: A royal tour', Traditional Interior Design, vol.2, 2 (Oct/Nov 1987)
Page(s): 72-81 Held at RCAHMS D.13.23.TAY.P

Showing 3 from 37 ...show more
Charity SC026749