Alternative Names Kirkwall, King's Castle; Castle Of Kirkway
Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 2525
Site Number HY41SW 17
NGR HY 4489 1097
Council ORKNEY ISLANDS
Parish KIRKWALL AND ST OLA
Former Region ORKNEY ISLANDS AREA
Former District ORKNEY
Former County ORKNEY
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
HY41SW 17 4489 1097.
(HY 4489 1097) Site of King's Castle.(NR)
OS 25" map, Orkney, 1st ed.,(1881).
The Castle of Kirkway in Orkney was demolished in 1615 by order of James VI.
R Gordon 1813.
'The sadly dilapidated ruins of Kirkwall Castle, built by the first earl, Henry St. Clair, are still to be seen on the west side of the Broad Street, with a flower-pot in front'.
G P Anderson 1834
King's or Kirkwall Castle was built by Henry St. Clair in the 14th century and destroyed on an order from the Privy Council date 26th October, 1614. In 1742 the Earl of Morton granted the stones to the Town Council for building a town house and jail. The last surviving fragment- a wall 55 ft long 11ft thick and irregular height, was demolished to improve access to the harbour in 1865 and a stone to commemorate this, dated 1866, is built into the Castle Hotel.
Name Book 1880.
'The remains of a small strong castle built in 1379 by Henry, Lord Sinclair the first Count of Orkney, are to the North West of the Church' (St. Magnus' Cath).
D W Kemp 1887.
'A fragment of old freestone from Kirkwall Castle has been built into the S. Gable of Messrs. W T Sinclair's premises at the tower of Castle Street, The shield is charged for Sinclair...'
The site of Kirkwall Castle is marked by a plaque dated 1865 on the south gable of the premises of Messrs W T Sinclair. Visited by OS (NKB) 5 April 1964.
|Books and References|
Anderson, G (1834) Guide to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, London
Gordon, R (1813) Genealogical history of the Earldom of Sutherland - 1630-1813,
Ordnance Survey (Name Book) Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey (6 inch and 1/2500 scale)
Page(s): Book No.12, 45-6 Held at RCAHMS Ref