Braco, Ardoch Old Bridge
Alternative Names Ardoch Bridge; River Knaik
Site Type ROAD BRIDGE
Canmore ID 25263
Site Number NN80NW 7
NGR NN 83791 09914
Council PERTH AND KINROSS
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District PERTH AND KINROSS
Former County PERTHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NN80NW 7 83791 09914
(NN 8378 0991) Ardoch Bridge (NR) (Disused).
OS 6" map, (1958).
For successor and present bridge (at NN 83791 09902), see NN80NW 78.
There are two bridges spanning the River Knaick within a few yards of each other, just below Ardoch Roman Fort. (NN80NW 10). The upper bridge, now disused, was erected in 1430 (said to be built by General Wade (Hunter 1897)). This original bridge was a single span only six feet wide, but an addition of three and a half feet seems to have been made to its width at some later time, but in 1896 this part fell into the stream. The building of the newer bridge was begun in 1861 and completed in 1862.
J Spottiswoode 1851; C Rogers 1853; Name Book 1863; T Hunter 1897; A H Anderson 1933.
The arch of the original is still standing. At its western end may be seen remains of the north parapet, abuttment and arch of the addition. It was probably restored or rebuilt when the military road from Stirling to Crieff was constructed, (1741-2).
Visited by OS (RD) 26 June 1967.
This bridge formerly carried a public road over the River Knaik to the NNE of the village of Braco.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 29 May 2008.
|Books and References|
Anderson, A H (1933) Sketches of Ardoch,
Hunter, T (1897) Illustrated Guide to Perthshire,
Ordnance Survey (Name Book) Object Name Books of the Ordnance Survey (6 inch and 1/2500 scale)
Page(s): Book No. 6, 47 Held at RCAHMS Ref