Alternative Names Dull; Carse Farm 1; Weem
Site Type FOUR POSTER STONE CIRCLE, CINERARY URN
Canmore ID 25651
Site Number NN84NW 4
NGR NN 8022 4873
Council PERTH AND KINROSS
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District PERTH AND KINROSS
Former County PERTHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NN84NW 4 8022 4873.
(NN 8022 4873) Standing Stones (NR)
OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1901)
A small circle of four stones, three of which, ranging from 4' - 6' high, are still standing. The fallen stone lay across the middle of the circle. The NE and SE stones are cup marked with 17 and 3 cups respectively.
Excavation revealed a pit against the inner face of the NE stone, filled with compacted cremated bone, black earth and charcoal, as well as a collared urn with incised geometric ornamentation.
The socket of the fallen stone was found in the SW quadrant, and the stone was re-erected (Stewart 1964).
F R Coles 1908; M E C Stewart 1964.
Listed as a 'four-poster' by Burl, who suggests it is datable to c. 2150 - 1800 BC.
H A W Burl 1971.
A "four-poster" on a level valley floor. The four stone form a rectangle measuring 3.9m WSW-ENE by 2.7m overall, with the tallest stone in the SE. The cup marks are on the upper horizontal surfaces of the easterly two stones and are as described by Coles.
Surveyed at 1:10,000.
Visited by OS (A A) 26 November 1974.
No change to previous field report.
Surveyed at 1:2500.
Visited by OS (J R L) 1 December 1978.
|Books and References|
Burl, H A W (1971) 'Two "Scottish" stone circles in Northumberland', Archaeol Aeliana, 4th, vol.49
Page(s): 42, 50
Coles, F R (1908) 'Report on stone circles surveyed in Perthshire - North Eastern section; with measured plans and drawings (obtained under the Gunning Fellowship)', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.42
Page(s): 125-8 plan fig. 28, illust
Stewart and Barclay, M E C and G J (1997) 'Excavations in burial and ceremonial sites of the Bronze Age in Tayside', Tayside Fife Archaeol J, vol.3