Egilsay, St Magnus's Church

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Old Egilsay Kirk; St Magnus' Church; Egilsay War Memorial
Site Type BURIAL GROUND, CHURCH, WAR MEMORIAL (20TH CENTURY)
Canmore ID 2697
Site Number HY43SE 1
NGR HY 46609 30393
Council ORKNEY ISLANDS
Parish ROUSAY AND EGILSAY
Former Region ORKNEY ISLANDS AREA
Former District ORKNEY
Former County ORKNEY
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

HY43SE 1 46609 30393.

(HY 4661 3038) St Magnus's Church (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6" map, Orkney, 2nd ed.,(1903).

For St Magnus' Cenotaph (HY 47016 30013), see HY43SE 8.

The church of St Magnus is an important building belonging to the early Norse phase. It is now roofless but otherwise almost entire and consists of a nave, chancel, and a round western tower. The chancel opens directly out of the nave without a chancel arch and is covered with a barrel-vault, above which is a large chamber under the roof. There are N and S doors in the nave, and the only entrance to the ground stage of the tower is through the W wall of the church.
A church existed here in 1116, when St Magnus was martyred either in the building or just outside it. It seems probable, however, that the existing structure dates from nearer the end of that century.
RCAHMS 1946; V G Childe and W D Simpson 1954; F T Wainwright (ed.) 1962.

'St Magnus' Church' (as on HBM {D of E} plaque) as described.
Visited by OS (AA), 14 October 1972.

February 2014 to July 2014
 PROJECT

Notes A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Further details

 
Books and References

Childe and Simpson, V G and W D (1954) Illustrated guide to ancient monuments in the ownership or guardianship of The Ministry of Works: volume vi: Scotland, Edinburgh
Page(s): 104 Held at RCAHMS D.20.ANC.R

Dryden, H (1874) Ruined Churches in Orkney and Shetland, 1867-74, (re-published collection of Orcadian newspaper articles)

Fawcett, R (2002) Scottish medieval churches: architecture and furnishings, Stroud
Page(s): 27, 72, 224, 334, 326 Held at RCAHMS F.5.31.FAW

Showing 3 from 12 ...show more
Charity SC026749