Balblair

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Alternative Names Moniack Castle; Wester Balblair; Balblair Stone
Site Type CUP MARKED STONE, PICTISH SYMBOL STONE (PICTISH)
Canmore ID 269922
Site Number NH54NW 155
NGR NH 50958 45163
Council HIGHLAND
Parish KILMORACK
Former Region HIGHLAND
Former District INVERNESS
Former County INVERNESS-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc NH c. 509 451

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NH54NW 155 c. 509 451 Removed to NH 5518 4357

For present location (NH 5518 4357), see NH54SE 9

Until c.1827 a sculptured stone bearing the incised figure of a man and fourteen cup-marks, stood approximately 100 yards W of the parish school of Kilmorack. When that area of ground was then taken into cultivation, the stone was moved to stand close by the school, and subsequently, between 1867 and 1903, to the rockery of Moniack Castle, where it now stands (NH54SE 9). The school is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire sheet 10, 1876) at NH 51061 45167.
J Stuart 1867; J R Allen and J Anderson 1903.

 
Books and References

Allen and Anderson, J R and J (1903) The early Christian monuments of Scotland: a classified illustrated descriptive list of the monuments with an analysis of their symbolism and ornamentation, Edinburgh
Page(s): 95-6, 517 Held at RCAHMS G.1.11.ALL

Mack, A (1997) Field guide to the Pictish symbol stones, Balgavies, Angus
Held at RCAHMS E.11.MAC

Stuart, J (1867) Sculptured Stones of Scotland v2,, vol.2 Edinburgh
Page(s): 72 Held at RCAHMS D.4.L.R

Showing 3 from 3 ...show more
Charity SC026749