Glasgow, 103 Polmadie Road, Polmadie Motive Power Depot
Alternative Names Polmadie Engine Shed; Polmadie Traction Depot
Site Type ENGINE SHED
Canmore ID 277707
Site Number NS56SE 2157
NGR NS 59790 62680
Council GLASGOW, CITY OF
Parish GOVAN (CITY OF GLASGOW)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CITY OF GLASGOW
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred NS 59790 62680
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS56SE 2157 centred 59790 62680
Engine Shed [NAT]
OS 1:1250 map, 1967.
Polmadie Engine Shed, 103 Polmadie Rd., opened c. 1879 by the Caledonian Rly, and subsequently rebuilt and extended. A group of single-storey red brick buildings incorporating a large repair shop.
J R Hume 1974.
[Noted as 'Polmadie loco shed' on map of railways in central area of Glasgow, and as 'Polmadie depot' on map of current Glasgow railways].
C Johnston and J R Hume 1979.
Polmadie MPD derived from the Caledonian Rly, and had the successive shed codes 27A (1948-9) and 66A (1949-67). 65D).
(Sketch plan as at 1953: allocations listed as at 1950, 1959 and 1965).
P Bolger 1983.
Polmadie MPD (shed code 66A) was a brick-built 14-track dead-ended shed with 7 through roads. The 2-track repair bay is in use as a maintenace workship (1989).
P Smith 1990.
This depot was principally significant for providing traction for the Northern portion of the West Coast Main Line.
Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 21 December 2005.
|Books and References|
Bolger, P (1983) BR [British Railways] steam motive power depots: ScR [Scottish Region], Shepperton
Hume, J R (1974) The industrial archaeology of Glasgow, Glasgow
Page(s): 253 Held at RCAHMS D.12.4.IND
Johnston and Hume, C and J R (1979) Glasgow stations, Newton Abbot
Page(s): figs. 1 and 2 Held at RCAHMS D.12.4.STA