Alternative Names Loch Leven Castle; Castle Island
Site Type CASTLE
Canmore ID 27913
Site Number NO10SW 9
NGR NO 13747 01778
Council PERTH AND KINROSS
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District PERTH AND KINROSS
Former County KINROSS-SHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
Loch Leven Castle and Priory.
The National Library of Scotland.
The National Library of Scotland contains, among the 'Uncatalogued MSS of General Hutton', in drawings numbered 18 and 19, vol.1, a sketch of the ruined Loch Leven Castle, made by Miss Amelia Jones, on the island situated near the shore on the West side of the Loch, opposite the hamlet of Kinross. This castle held at one time the unfortunate Queen Mary of Scots. Also a sketch of 1789 of Loch Leven Priory, on the Inch or Isle of St. Serf. There is a note that the roof of the Priory fell in 1788. There now appears to be only a fragment of the Priory remaining.
NMRS Print room. Inglis Photograph Collection.
2 distant views of the island including castle (3 prints)
Close-up view of the tower (2 prints).
Acc No 1994/90.
(Undated) information in NMRS.
|Notes and Activities|
NO10SW 9 13747 01778
(NO 1374 0177) Castle (NR) (In Ruins)
OS 6" map, Perthshire, (1913/38)
Lochleven Castle. The remains situated on an island of Loch Leven consist of a tower with a courtyard, the latter enclosed by a stout barmkin.
A portion of the masonry in the south wall of the enclosure may date from the 13th century. Otherwise the oldest of the existing buildings is the tower, which is of the later 14th or early 15th century. It is oblong on plan, measuring externally 36 1/2 feet by 31 1/2 feet and contains five storeys. The castle is in good preservation.
RCAHMS 1933; Information from RCAHMS AP catalogue 1980.
Lochleven Castle is as described and illustrated above.
Immediately to the NW of the castle there is a large artificially levelled area with the foundations of a stone wall along its west side. Revised at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (W D J) 6 January 1964.
NO 137 017. A short programme of excavation during September and October of 1995 revealed the footings of a stone forestair, giving access to the Great Hall of the tower. The stonework comprised a revetting wall and rubble core, with two surviving steps at its lowest level, access to which was via metalled pathways within the courtyard. Considerable deposits (up to 0.75m deep) had accumulated against the outer faces of the forestair, containing pottery of c.16th century date, and quantities of animal bone- midden from the occupation of the tower.
Sponsor: Historic Scotland.
G Ewart and D Stewart 1995.
|30 April 2011||WATCHING BRIEF|
Notes NO 1372 0178 (centred on) A watching brief was maintained on 30 March 2011 during the excavation of three trenches for new signs. One of the trenches was located next to the shore to the NW of the castle, an area that would originally have been submerged at the time the castle was built. The remaining two trenches were located in the inner courtyard; one next to the N range and the other near the wall-walk stairs in the SW corner of the courtyard. A considerable amount of artefactual evidence was recovered from these small excavations including oyster shell, bottle glass, bone and pottery.
Archive: RCAHMS (intended)
Funder: Historic Scotland
Kirkdale Archaeology, 2011
|Books and References|
Anon (1838) Guide pittoresque du voyageur en Ecosse: orne de 120 vues, representant les principaux edifices, les curiosites naturelles, les chateaux remarquables, et tous les lieux cites par Walter Scott..., In French Paris
Page(s): 170 Held at RCAHMS D.20.GUI.R
Bogdon, N Q (1984) Lochleven Castle, Edinburgh
Held at RCAHMS D5/KRP
Breeze, D J (2002) People and places: the men, women and places that made Scottish history, Edinburgh
Page(s): 54-5 Held at RCAHMS C.3.5.BRE