Pitfour Castle

© Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Site Type TOWER HOUSE
Canmore ID 28241
Site Number NO12SE 50
NGR NO 19 20
Council PERTH AND KINROSS
Parish ST MADOES
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District PERTH AND KINROSS
Former County PERTHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map



Notes and Activities

Archaeological Notes

NO12SE 50 19 20

For successor country house (NO 1995 2092), see NO12SE 32.00.

Pitfour Castle is alleged to have been at one time lower down and nearer the River Tay than the present 19th century building (at NO 199 208)
L Melville 1939.

There are no visible remains of the tower- or laird's house that was the predecessor to the present Pitfour Castle (NO12SE 32.00). The present house dates from 1784 but the earlier building is said to have occupied a position downslope and close to the Tay; the lands of Pitfour are on record in 1600.
Visited by RCAHMS (IMS) December 1989.
L Melville 1939; Reg Mag Sig 1593-1608.

 
Books and References

Blackadder, Reid and Johnston (1998) The Stables, Pitfour Castle, St Madoes, Glencarse: [sale particulars], Dundee
Page(s): sale brochure Held at RCAHMS D.13.23.PIT.S

Melville, L (1939) The fair land of Gowrie, Coupar Angus
Page(s): 48 Held at RCAHMS D.13.22.GOW

RCAHMS (1994b) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. South-east Perth: an archaeological landscape, Edinburgh
Page(s): 164 Held at RCAHMS A.1.7.PER

Showing 3 from 5 ...show more
Charity SC026749