Glasgow City, Finnieston Street, 133-139
Site Type GLASS WORKS, POTTERY KILN
Canmore ID 282701
Site Number NS56NE 4933
NGR NS 574 653
Council GLASGOW, CITY OF
Parish GLASGOW (CITY OF GLASGOW)
Former Region STRATHCLYDE
Former District CITY OF GLASGOW
Former County LANARKSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NS56NE 4933 NS 574 653
133¿139 Finnieston Street, 18th/19th-century glass and pottery works. NS 574 653. Excavation was undertaken between July and September 2005 in advance of the development of the former Verreville Glass and Pottery Works for high-rise apartments. The excavated area comprised only the NW part of the former Verreville site, one of many industrial pottery factories in Glasgow. The glassworks was founded in 1777, with pottery being produced from the early 1800s. Glass-making ceased in the 1840s and the pottery works finally shut down in 1917.
An earlier site evaluation established that buildings, including kilns, survived across the site. Subsequent excavation uncovered the foundation pads for the original glass cone built in 1777, six brick-built pottery kilns, a drying room, various other buildings of as yet unknown function, a section of a tramway - which would have carried materials and part-finished goods around the site - and external yard areas.
Finds include a large assemblage of ceramics and a smaller but important assemblage of late 18th- and early 19th-century glass, together with plaster of Paris moulds and kiln furniture.
Report to be lodged with WoSAS SMR and NMRS.
Sponsor: FM Developments Ltd.
R Coleman 2005
|Books and References|
Coleman, R (2005) '133-139 Finnieston Street, Glasgow City (Glasgow parish), 18th/19th-century glass and pottery works', Discovery Excav Scot, vol.6