Site Type AXEHEAD (STONE), LITHIC IMPLEMENT(S) (FLINT)
Canmore ID 28880
Site Number NO14SE 14
NGR NO 17 42
Council PERTH AND KINROSS
Former Region TAYSIDE
Former District PERTH AND KINROSS
Former County PERTHSHIRE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc NO c. 17 42
View this site on a map
|Notes and Activities|
NO14SE 14 c. 17 42.
For other flint implements found at Carsie and now in Perth Museum,
see NO14SE 7, NO14SE 8, NO14SE 9, NO14SE 12, NO14SE 13. See also NO14SE 90.
The following flint and stone implements found at Carsie are in the NMAS:
1. Three leaf-shaped arrowheads of light grey flint.
2. Lop-sided arrowhead of dark brown flint.
3. Spearhead or knife of dark grey flint, part of base missing.
4. Another of clear grey flint.
5. Three borers of light grey and red flint.
6. Knife of grey flint flaked over its rounded back.
7. Four knives of yellow flint.
8. Sub-triangular implement of grey flint, imperfect.
9. 27 scrapers of grey and yellow flint.
10. Two worked flints and a stone axe (2.13/16" x 1.13/16" x 3/4).
11. Leaf-shaped arrowhead.
Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1931; Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1936
No further information
Visited by OS (RD) 3 March 1969.
The National Museum of Scotland accession numbers of the flint artefacts found at Carsie are:
NMS AB 220-226-(flint knives and knife-like implements);
NMS AB 1820-1851-(miscellaneous flint artefacts);
NMS AC 1552-1555-(flint arrowheads)
NMS AD 1556 (flint spearhead)
The stone axe from Carsie is numbered AF 702.
Information from RCAHMS (JRS) 28 December 1992.
NMS AF 702 This axe was found at Carsie, Blairgowrie and purchased in 1930. It measures 2 13/16" by 1 13/16" by 3/4".
Information from RMS typescript continuation catalogue (per Dr J A Sheridan) 24 December 1993.
|Books and References|
PSAS (1931) 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.65
PSAS (1936) 'Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.70
RCAHMS (1994b) The Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland. South-east Perth: an archaeological landscape, Edinburgh
Page(s): 153, 154 Held at RCAHMS A.1.7.PER