Glenduckie Hill

© Copyright and database right 2015. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100020548.

Canmore ID 30060
Site Number NO21NE 5
NGR NO 2813 1931
Council FIFE
Parish FLISK
Former Region FIFE
Former District NORTH EAST FIFE
Former County FIFE
Datum OSGB36 - NGR
NGR Desc Centred on NO 2813 1931

Canmore Mapping
View this site on a map

Notes and Activities Click to sort results by Event date ascending

Archaeological Notes

NO21NE 5 centred 2813 1931.

(Centred NO 2827 1952) There are the remains of an IA fort and a later homestead on Glenduckie Hill.
The fort was defended by a single rampart and ditch and measured internally 420ft by 130ft. The entrance, at the NE, was 8ft wide and a gap at the SW may be also original. There is no trace of contemporary buildings within.
The homestead occupies the spine of the ridge in the SW half of the fort and consists of a single circular hut, 65ft in external diameter with a wall 6ft thick, within an enclosing wall, 100 to 150ft external diameter and about 9ft thick. Both walls are eroded on the NW.
A boulder-faced rubble wall 12ft thick, with a ditch, cuts off the NE end of the fort and appears to be later than the fort defences but there is no evidence that it is contemporary with the homestead.
Information from Ms notes by K A Steer (RCAHMS) 1954.

The hut is similar in construction to the stone-walled huts at Drumcarrow (NO41SE 2) which are constructed between the 2nd and 6th centuries AD.
G S Maxwell 1969.

Centred NO 2813 1931. As described and planned by the RCAHMS.
Surveyed at 1/2500.
Visited by OS (W D J) 18 May 1970.

1 May 1952

Project Marginal Land Survey

Notes This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

Further details


Project Marginal Land Survey

Notes This site is noted in the ‘List of monuments discovered during the survey of marginal land (1951-5)’ (RCAHMS 1957, xiv-xviii). The 286 monuments were listed by county, parish, classification and name, and the list included an indication of whether they had been planned (P), whether they were visible only as a cropmark (C), and whether they were worthy of preservation (*).
Drawings are catalogued to individual site records. Investigator's notebooks are availiable in the MS collection. Site descriptions are availiable in contemporary RCAHMS inventories, or in three typescript volumes availiable in the library.
Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 24 October 2012

Further details

Books and References

Maxwell, G S (1969b) 'Excavations at Drumcarrow, Fife: an Iron Age unenclosed settlement', Proc Soc Antiq Scot, vol.100
Page(s): 106, 108

RCAHMS (1950-9) Marginal Land Survey (unpublished typescripts). 3v. Typescripts
Page(s): v2 Held at RCAHMS A.1.1.MAR

Showing 2 from 2
Charity SC026749